My email address is blocked by Invision

Go to solution Solved by Charles,

For the past few months, Invision has blocked my yahoo email address. I've used that email address for the past 36 years with no issues with all the forums I visit, all the forums I've created myself on other platforms, and still use that email address every day to this day, yet Invision won't let me use it. 😞

One of my moderators has the same problem, our forum won't let him use his normal email address so he's no longer receiving any notifications. 

Could contain: Text

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Your email address was blocked in January because of a spam complaint. However, I can't tell you whether that was an automated complaint from Yahoo or the spam button being clicked in their UI.

Spam complaints result in an immediate block (for obvious reasons).

Well I've never sent spam, obviously, and I've never used that email to send newsletters or anything, I use mailchimp for that.... 

So if for example one person makes one mistake and click the wrong button on their UI, that results in my email being blocked forever across all Invision sites including my own? And the same for my moderator? 

Edited by David N.

We cannot speak for your moderators email address, as thats not what was reported here. We can only tell you that your email address was blocked automatically because email was rejected due to a spam complaint by a receiving email. 

I feel like I'm failing to convey how frustrating this is. I've used that email address for the past 36 years, I've never sent any spam, and because Invision has received one complaint, which may be one human clicking once on a button, or something automated, I'm done, banned for life from using that email address for my own website.  

As for the next issue then, which is my moderator email being blocked, how do I communicate his email address to you without posting it publicly?

While I appreciate your frustration, we have to also protect our own email services, and I feel you are misunderstanding the situation. Its your email service that has reported to us that an email to you is being seen as spam. So either your email service is reporting us as spam, or the spam button has been selected on your email. This is nothing in any way related to a random "human clicking once on a button" from one of your email, nor is it related to anything you may have sent in any way.

For account queries like this, I would suggest using the contact button at the bottom and selecting accounts from the menu provided. 

Thank you Marc and you are right, I misunderstood the situation. 

Ok so if I, myself, receive in my Yahoo inbox an email from noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com and mark it as spam, then that would trigger this issue. Either that, or Yahoo automatically determining that an email I have received from noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com is spam. 

Is that correct? 

• Management
  • Solution

Just to provide more information, assuming you are referring to the email address k******er@yahoo.com:

On Saturday, January 13, 2024 1:08:27 PM Yahoo sent us a spam complaint for an email sent to that address. Unfortunately they don't really tell us why/how/who put in the spam complaint.

When we receive a spam complaint, the email is automatically added to our suppression list and we never email that address again.

I went ahead and manually removed your email from our suppression list so it should email again.

Since January, we are now on a new email provider. If we get a spam complaint again, it will tell us a tiny but more information about the complaint but only a bit more. If it does spam complaint again, I can at least share that data with you and you could contact Yahoo.

If you want to go in your AdminCP, email settings, and then do a test email to that address I can check the logs and see what happens.

Ok great, thanks so much @Charles, I really appreciate it. That was the one, and it's now working on my site. Still isn't working on the alpha preview site though - but no big deal. 

It's also good to hear that the next time this occurs you should have more details. I obviously did not manually complain about anything coming from Invision being spam — unless my right hand clicked by mistake without my realizing, I suppose mistakes do happen — so I'm guessing this was an automated report by Yahoo. Maybe I was receiving too many notifications. 

3 hours ago, Marc said:

For account queries like this, I would suggest using the contact button at the bottom and selecting accounts from the menu provided. 

Thank you, I'll do that. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Charles said:

The alpha preview, and other sites, will notice the unblock eventually. They only check every so often.

Let me know when you send a test email and I'll copy the log here.

I just sent (and successfully received) a test bulk mail only to my address. 

Edited by David N.