How to stop Banned Account Names from showing in tags?

Go to solution Solved by Randy Calvert,

Having a bit of an issue that I'm pretty sure is just something that I'm missing in settings somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it. 😐

We have banned accounts in a member group with specific settings (denying access), and it is set to not allow filtering by that group. But when you start typing a username in a Private Message or a tag, the banned names are showing up. Here's an example that shows an active username followed by a banned user.

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Person

How can I get any name in the banned user group to not show to the public in this way?
Thanks!

• Solution
4 hours ago, Eric Mattson1 said:

Could you just put their email list on the banned registration block list and delete the account completely?

It's possible to do, but that means you would lose history associated with that account.  For example, for banned members we will continue to track device IDs, emails, IP address ranges to see if a banned member simply creates a new account using a different email.  If you delete the account, any history you have on it is also lost.  

9 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

It's possible to do, but that means you would lose history associated with that account.  For example, for banned members we will continue to track device IDs, emails, IP address ranges to see if a banned member simply creates a new account using a different email.  If you delete the account, any history you have on it is also lost.  

That is the problem. We have several members doing just that, so it needs to be tracked. But to have those names coming up every time a member starts typing legitimate account names is not good. I would definitely consider this a piece of poor programming.

Thanks for the responses. We'll have to decide what to do.

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention! I can confirm this should be further reviewed and I have logged an internal bug report for our development team to investigate and address as necessary, in a future maintenance release.

I have just taken a look at this, and they are already excluded. This is only if the account is permanently banned. From what you are saying, you are not actually using the ban function, so that would not be excluded.

The item you are referring to with "Do not allow filtering" is not what you are trying to use it for here. It means the "group" shows up nowhere. It doesnt mean the member doesnt show in places

On 8/2/2024 at 9:53 AM, Marc said:

I have just taken a look at this, and they are already excluded. This is only if the account is permanently banned. From what you are saying, you are not actually using the ban function, so that would not be excluded.

The item you are referring to with "Do not allow filtering" is not what you are trying to use it for here. It means the "group" shows up nowhere. It doesnt mean the member doesnt show in places

I've been playing around with this, but the account is actually banned using the ban button. I reversed the ban and then re-banned the account to see if something just wasn't working. But it still comes up when creating a message:

Could contain: Text, Person

This is what the account looks like in AdminCP. Is there something there that I'm missing, which could well be the case! We don't have to ban that many, so it's not something I've done a million times. 🙂 

Could contain: File, Webpage, Text

On 8/3/2024 at 9:48 PM, PinPics said:

I've been playing around with this, but the account is actually banned using the ban button. I reversed the ban and then re-banned the account to see if something just wasn't working. But it still comes up when creating a message:

Could contain: Text, Person

This is what the account looks like in AdminCP. Is there something there that I'm missing, which could well be the case! We don't have to ban that many, so it's not something I've done a million times. 🙂 

Could contain: File, Webpage, Text

18 hours ago, teraßyte said:

My post was split from this topic and acknowledged as a bug:

Indeed that one was confirmed to be a bug 🙂