Feature Request: Post Numbers

Chris027

I'm requesting post numbers be an option to enable/disable.

The reason why I really want these is because I often get notified about conversations that have gone way off topic. There may be 20 pages of on topic, mixed with off topic, and some in the middle. When a member of the community asked me to move the off topic posts to another topic, I have to read through every post in the 20 pages, understand each one within the content of the discussion, and make a decision which posts to move. It's impossible. 

If posts had numbers, I could just ask which posts people want moved, and it would be simple. 

This used to be in MUCH earlier versions of IPB, but was removed.  (Think IPB 2/3.)

If you search for it, you'll find topics on this that are several pages long.  The short answer is that IPS has been pretty clear on saying they won't come back.

With that being said, if someone clicks on the 3 dots to the upper right of the post and chooses "Share" it will let them copy a link directly to that comment.

Could contain: Page, Text, File

That will save you needing to scroll through multiple pages trying to find a specific post ID, etc.  

4 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

This used to be in MUCH earlier versions of IPB, but was removed.  (Think IPB 2/3.)

If you search for it, you'll find topics on this that are several pages long.  The short answer is that IPS has been pretty clear on saying they won't come back.

With that being said, if someone clicks on the 3 dots to the upper right of the post and chooses "Share" it will let them copy a link directly to that comment.

Could contain: Page, Text, File

That will save you needing to scroll through multiple pages trying to find a specific post ID, etc.  

Thanks Randy. Such a bummer. 

Saying something like post 45, 51-70, 72, etc... is much easier than sending me links to 30 posts that I need to click on. 

These were removed in earlier releases for a few reasons, but one of the main ones being they simply dont work in todays community environments. For example, I may have post 1, 2,3. If you cant see post 2, do you have post 1 and 3? If so, what if I dont want you to know that post 2 is hidden? This is just one example

53 minutes ago, Chris027 said:

Saying something like post 45, 51-70, 72, etc... is much easier than sending me links to 30 posts that I need to click on. 

What are you trying to convey with stating "See post 51-70"? Typically, if you need to reply to something, I'd use the quote tool as I've done here. If I need to reference a post on another page for a user to review for a question, I'd copy/paste that link or you could use quote (or multi-quote) as well.

As a user, I'd rather be like "Oh, ok. I'll just click here to see what they're talking about" than go searching through pages to find post #51. 

Ultimately, there are holes, as Marc mentioned, and as I've mentioned, there are more user-friendly ways to address previous content. 

17 minutes ago, Marc said:

These were removed in earlier releases for a few reasons, but one of the main ones being they simply dont work in todays community environments. For example, I may have post 1, 2,3. If you cant see post 2, do you have post 1 and 3? If so, what if I dont want you to know that post 2 is hidden? This is just one example

I totally get it, but allowing us community owners to decide if we want to enable them would be the best solution for us.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

What are you trying to convey with stating "See post 51-70"? Typically, if you need to reply to something, I'd use the quote tool as I've done here. If I need to reference a post on another page for a user to review for a question, I'd copy/paste that link or you could use quote (or multi-quote) as well.

As a user, I'd rather be like "Oh, ok. I'll just click here to see what they're talking about" than go searching through pages to find post #51. 

Ultimately, there are holes, as Marc mentioned, and as I've mentioned, there are more user-friendly ways to address previous content. 

My issue is about splitting off topic posts into new topics as a moderator. When a topic has 50 off topic posts, among 500 on topic posts, and they are weaved into the topic all over, it's very hard for a moderator to split the right posts into a new thread, without something like "please move posts 35, 50-71, 74."

Users are the ones reporting this stuff to the moderators. Post numbers make it easy for both them and us. 

8 minutes ago, Chris027 said:

I totally get it, but allowing us community owners to decide if we want to enable them would be the best solution for us.

My issue is about splitting off topic posts into new topics as a moderator. When a topic has 50 off topic posts, among 500 on topic posts, and they are weaved into the topic all over, it's very hard for a moderator to split the right posts into a new thread, without something like "please move posts 35, 50-71, 74."

Users are the ones reporting this stuff to the moderators. Post numbers make it easy for both them and us. 

They can use the report functionality to do so and then moderators can move those posts via the reported content section of the ModCP. Alternatively, your users can just share the pages and be like "Look at these spam posts" and then it will be up to your moderators to determine if they are or are not.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

They can use the report functionality to do so and then moderators can move those posts via the reported content section of the ModCP. Alternatively, your users can just share the pages and be like "Look at these spam posts" and then it will be up to your moderators to determine if they are or are not.

In the report posts mod page, can I move 50 reported posts at one time to a newly created topic?

50 shared URLs is a fool's errang to work with as a moderator seeking to create a new topic for all of them.

10 minutes ago, Chris027 said:

In the report posts mod page, can I move 50 reported posts at one time to a newly created topic?

50 shared URLs is a fool's errang to work with as a moderator seeking to create a new topic for all of them.

Ultimately, moderation and the associated tools should be done prior to obtaining 50 posts that are off topic 🙂 .

As mentioned, there are alternatives to be used. If you get post numbers, you ultimately have to go and find those posts, no? No method is perfect but you are not without solutions 🙂 .

Just now, Jim M said:

Ultimately, moderation and the associated tools should be done prior to obtaining 50 posts that are off topic 🙂 .

As mentioned, there are alternatives to be used. If you get post numbers, you ultimately have to go and find those posts, no? No method is perfect but you are not without solutions 🙂 .

When I wake up and the Europeans have been bickering about something off topic all night, I have no choice.

When a user says, "hey can you move posts 31, 51-70, 73, 88," finding those post numbers in a thread, selecting the posts, then selecting Split to new topic is dead simple. 

The problem is what said earlier...  YOUR posts 31, 51-70, 73, 88 might be different for someone else based on their permissions.  

With that said, check over on Invisioneer or other 3rd party resource sites...  there used to be a mod that would do something like this.  

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

The problem is what said earlier...  YOUR posts 31, 51-70, 73, 88 might be different for someone else based on their permissions.

Not on my site. But I can see that issue on another site. 

2 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

With that said, check over on Invisioneer or other 3rd party resource sites...  there used to be a mod that would do something like this.  

I would but IC seems to be against third party anything and it’ll become a liability when moving to v5. 

12 minutes ago, Chris027 said:

Not on my site. But I can see that issue on another site. 

This is definitely the conundrum of developing software for the masses. What you're seeing as a totally easy and viable solution is quite the opposite for another community. We have to be as middle road as possible to avoid these conflicts of these implementations. At the same time, we also have to be quite aware that we're a small company so many people state "just add a setting", that just adds more workload to our end.

Therefore, there are hard lines in the sand we have to draw. Doesn't mean you can't accomplish what you need, just means you may need to go about it another way or get a custom application built for your community.