Increasing number of users unable to log in

Hello, I am not sure exactly when the issue started, but we are seeing an increasing number of users unable to login. This happens after a purhcase is made, at which point 2fa is required by the user. Upon trying to login, the user gets kicked backed to https://<domain>/?_mfaLogin=1 but no 2fa popup appears and the user cannot log in. I know this is definitely a problem with users on Chrome, unsure about other browsers. The issue has steadily been increasing for the last few months now and is causing a serious problem.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Are you on the latest release with all patches applied? Have you disabled all third party applications/plugins and themes then had the user try again?

Hello, yes I updated to 4.7.16 and cleared all caches, the problem persisted. I can't very easily disable all applications as that will cause service disruption. But if it was a plugin/application surely it would affect all users, not just _some_ ?

7 minutes ago, Callum MacGregor said:

yes I updated to 4.7.16

4.7.17 is the latest so you're missing bug fixes there.

7 minutes ago, Callum MacGregor said:

I can't very easily disable all applications as that will cause service disruption. But if it was a plugin/application surely it would affect all users, not just _some_ ?

I can't really answer that because I don't know what exactly is installed/how it's used/etc... It could be simply the user in question has something different than the others. The easiest way to test would be to temporarily disable all of them.

To be clear, it is not just one user. It is a large and increasing number of users. With one user I checked their browser plugins and they didn't have anything that should affect it. Also, this same user fixed it by using a Edge rather than Chrome. This leads me to believe its a HTML/Javascript/browser compatability issue, but I am of course speculating.

I can try and find a user willing to help test and see what happens after disabling plugins/apps.

We had a massive problem like this for months too. Started in Q1.  No reason why. 

What I noticed was that our firewall was flagging Google signing and logging folks out by blocking some items.  

Do you use Cpanel & CSF?