Any way of automatically displaying new topics and new posts on the forum homepage?

We have recently had to disable our pro-stats plug-in which was extremely useful for showing us new topics or new posts which had been put onto the forum so that the site team were able to deal with new questions very quickly.
We run a consumer advice/law forum in the UK.

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage, Person

After the recent 4.7.17 upgrade, the excellent pro-stats plug-in slowed down the forum so that it was very difficult to access and we heard that some people had given up trying to register.

So we disabled it and now the forum works perfectly well – pretty quickly.

The problem now is that we aren't easily able to spot new topics coming in.

Anybody any idea how we can overcome this?

It has been made much more difficult to find a solution by the decentralised marketplace and fragmented third-party resource provision.

Thanks

Edited by BankFodder

Have you tried just using the built-in topic feeds? Often the issue with applications such as you are using, is they are pulling data live from the database and polling constantly, and so using multiple queries constantly.

You should do that :

Go to the Admin CP :

1. Pages -> Blocks
  2. Create new block
  3. Type : plugin ; Plugin : Forum > Topic Feed
  4. Next
  5. Add a name (Details), set up option in "Feed configuration". Here you can set up to get Lasts topics from forum where there was activity, or choose to show new topic created only, etc ... you can do a lot.
  6. Save

Go to the front :

1. Add a new block using drag and drop 
  2. Find the one you just created
  3. Enjoy

I've configured the above link as an announcement so at least the link is visible to everybody although it's not nearly as useful as the facility provided by the pro-stats plug-in.

I have to say that I would have thought that every InVision administration would want to broadcast latest topics and latest posts right on the front of the forum.

I don't know if there's still time to include something like this fully integrated into the forthcoming version 5 of InVision???🤞

1 hour ago, SoloInter said:

You should do that :

Go to the Admin CP :

1. Pages -> Blocks
  2. Create new block
  3. Type : plugin ; Plugin : Forum > Topic Feed
  4. Next
  5. Add a name (Details), set up option in "Feed configuration". Here you can set up to get Lasts topics from forum where there was activity, or choose to show new topic created only, etc ... you can do a lot.
  6. Save

Go to the front :

1. Add a new block using drag and drop 
  2. Find the one you just created
  3. Enjoy

Sorry I realise that I crossposted and I didn't see this message from you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out later and come back.

Meanwhile I've had a response from the developer @onlyME who has offered to visit our test site and have a look.

Thank you.

The problem I found is that using these ideas, it produces quite a substantial part of each new topic and so therefore takes a lot of space on the home page.

If you look at the screenshot above, using the pro-stats plug-in, it displays only the title and also you can display as many or as little as you want and then have a scrollbar at the side. This makes it very neat. Very accessible and doesn't take up too much space from the rest of the forum.

That's what we are looking for

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Sorry I realise that I crossposted and I didn't see this message from you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out later and come back.

Meanwhile I've had a response from the developer @onlyME who has offered to visit our test site and have a look.

No it's my fault, I used language that was too familiar for the spirit of this forum which aims to be professional. Since all my messages must be validated before publication, shame on me 😂

26 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Thank you.

The problem I found is that using these ideas, it produces quite a substantial part of each new topic and so therefore takes a lot of space on the home page.

If you look at the screenshot above, using the pro-stats plug-in, it displays only the title and also you can display as many or as little as you want and then have a scrollbar at the side. This makes it very neat. Very accessible and doesn't take up too much space from the rest of the forum.

That's what we are looking for

Using Page, when you create a new block, you can make few modification of the code and show something more suitable to you.