Invision Community v5: An update, and next steps

On 5/31/2024 at 9:14 PM, Matt said:

We are choosing to use a Cloud v5 to test with, rather than a traditional download for two reasons. The first is that using our hosting platform means we don't have to chase down issues with PHP, MySQL and unix versions which can be time consuming in the early stages. The second is that we're still writing the new build code, so we can't actually produce a versioned zip just yet. 😂

I would think Invision should move to Docker Container images - I would hope this is already being used by the Cloud offering. If not, I think Invision needs to re-consider how they are packaging new versions because zip files haven't been the standard for web application deployments for a long time.

Containers remove all those issues you've mentioned and mean you don't actually need to worry about upgrading files etc. - the only upgrade will be to the database schema if anything.

On 8/4/2024 at 11:57 PM, ahc said:

I recommend looking into Wasabi, they don't charge for data egress which is why Amazon ends up being so expensive to media rich websites. Starts off at 6.99/TB and the service is reliable. There is a guide here if you search for Wasabi that lets you set it up through the Amazon S3 option in the ACP. We switched over 4.5 years ago and have saved over $10,000 on the low end of my rough calculations.

Tried getting a Wasabi account for object storage earlier this year, it's a much different experience as they are looking closer into what you are doing. Essentially putting you through an interview before allowing access to their service. I would look into Backblaze B2.