Performance issues

We are currently on a VPS (6 core CPU, 8gb RAM, CentOS 7) and getting random, 5 second page loads.

I've done various checks and can't see any obvious causes, this seems more to do with a connection to the server as the delay is before any page assets are loaded. Low traffic site with perhaps <10 active users < 60 guests.

Can anyone suggest what maybe the cause or a way I can diagnose it more accurately? I've messaged the host who have just said that the forum takes "a lot of resources" but can't be any more specific about it.

Number one thing I would recommend is disabling all third party applications and plugins and switch to an unmodified theme. Often these are the culprits of some wonky performance and getting the software back to it's core would be ideal in troubleshooting that.

Sounds like your on a managed VPS, so I would also go back to your hosting provider and ask for more details. They have the responsibility and tools to tell you what exactly is causing a performance issue on their machine. It could be a misconfiguration and your VPS is not fully optimized to use all the resources which you have.

Thanks @Jim M, I have reset the theme and we don't have any applications or plugins, but there is still random issues.

It's a Managed VPS but our host responded with the following when I asked for more info, I'm a bit lost really, I don't know what IPS consumes RAM wise, or how to diagnose this further.

The reason for the slow connection time is because the server does not have the available memory to respond to the HTTP request immediately. The request gets queued and the server responds as soon as it is able to.

This is related to the previous mention of high memory usage. Reducing the memory used by the server should alleviate this issue. This would be something looked into by yourself or your sysadmin as this is outside our scope of support.