Upgrade fails and tanks board access

In attempting to follow the requested steps on the ACP to request tech support for an upgrade, I clicked "Disable Third-Party" as prompted. That led to a Gateway Error and the entire site failing to load. My hosting support was able to resolve that, and the site is back, but now I can't access the board or the ACP. I'm needing to upgrade my Invision install prior to migrating to a new server, and now I'm stuck.

There are also a couple of database repairs needed, and the Automatic Fix script doesn't work, and I'm not clear on how to run the queries that the upgrade script provides me.

Where do I find help on this issue? 

8 minutes ago, phidler_merged said:

There are also a couple of database repairs needed, and the Automatic Fix script doesn't work, and I'm not clear on how to run the queries that the upgrade script provides me.

If you're able to utilize your servers phpmyadmin, you can log in and select all your tables and repair them.  That might help you gain some traction in getting back online. 

Also, you can perform a move to a new server without upgrading anything.  I actually did the opposite of what you're trying to do, waiting until after the move to upgrade. 

Thanks, rnorth. I'm attempting to do that right now. It's spending quite a few minutes on "Loading..." which is either because there are 250K posts in the db or because it's stuck in a loop.

I do notice that the specific ibf_core_output_cache table that I was trying to repair now shows 0 rows, whereas it had a couple dozen yesterday. I wonder if that's significant.

That's the one that the upgrade script was telling me I had to repair before continuing. Hopefully once I am able to revive the board and get back to the ACP I'll be able to upgrade smoothly?

17 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

The core_output_cache table holds only temporary caches that can be recreated at any time. You can forget about it.

43 minutes ago, phidler_merged said:

I do notice that the specific ibf_core_output_cache table that I was trying to repair now shows 0 rows, whereas it had a couple dozen yesterday. I wonder if that's significant.

Ensure you have a backup of your files and database.  If possible, you can restore them so that you have a working site.  Then I'd uninstall any 3rd party applications one by one.  This would better your chances of keeping everything working correctly.  If that works, then I'd upgrade to the latest 4.7 release.

30 minutes ago, phidler_merged said:

Should I just do a clean install of IPB on the new server and then point it to the database somehow, rather than upgrading the existing one?

You could try that and go to admin/upgrade and it could potentially upgrade the original database. I personally would not try that unless you have full backups of the files and database on hand. 

34 minutes ago, phidler_merged said:

Should I just do a clean install of IPB on the new server and then point it to the database somehow, rather than upgrading the existing one?

I would strongly advice against doing that. And the upgrader still needs to run in order to bring the database up to date to match the forum files.

Can you check your server error logs and see if there are any errors logged there recently pertaining to the issue at hand?

Edited by Miss_B

45 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

Can you check your server error logs and see if there are any errors logged there recently pertaining to the issue at hand?

Aha. When a browser tab is trying to connect to my forum I get a steady stream of these two messages (and it stops when I close the tab, and restarts when I try again in a new tab):

[Thu Dec 28 16:58:21 2023] [authz_core:error] [pid 69145:tid 140002461718272] [client 10.30.9.122:57346] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /usr/share/httpd/noindex

[Thu Dec 28 16:58:21 2023] [autoindex:error] [pid 69145:tid 140002461718272] [client 10.30.9.122:57346] AH01276: Cannot serve directory /var/www/html/: No matching DirectoryIndex (index.htm,index.php,index.php5,index.php4,index.php3,index.perl,index.pl,index.plx,index.ppl,index.cgi,index.jsp,index.jp,index.phtml,index.shtml,index.xhtml,index.html,index.wml,Default.html,Default.htm,default.html,default.htm,home.html,home.htm,index.js,index.php) found, and server-generated directory index forbidden by Options directive

Does that tell you anything?

5 minutes ago, rnorth6920 said:

Is there no index.php file in the root folder? 

There is, and it's tiny. Here's the complete contents of that file (in the /html/forum directory):

<?php
/**
 * @brief		Public bootstrap
 * @author		<a href='https://www.invisioncommunity.com'>Invision Power Services, Inc.</a>
 * @copyright	(c) Invision Power Services, Inc.
 * @license		https://www.invisioncommunity.com/legal/standards/
 * @package		Invision Community
 * @since		18 Feb 2013
 */ 
\define('REPORT_EXCEPTIONS', TRUE);
$_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']	= __FILE__;
require_once 'init.php';
\IPS\Dispatcher\Front::i()->run();