Invision Community 5: A more performant, polished UI

4 hours ago, Ehren said:

Combined, these changes result in not only a significant reduction in code, but also a polished UI that performs smoothly on desktop and touch devices. We're excited to continue modernizing Invision Community well into the future as new technologies and techniques become available to us, and are looking forward to getting it in your hands in 2024.

I truly appreciate all the effort that was made to simplify the code to keep it lightweight, while in the meantime modernizing the UI. It looks very sleek.

In version 4.x, the sidebar has a fixed width of 340 pixels.
For certain size displays, it's OK, but for higher resolution displays, sidebar looks too narrow...
For my site I have solved it by using % for sidebar width (I use left sidebar), for a responsive view - but with a right sidebar this idea fails.
Are you developers thinking about version 5, for responsive sidebar size?

Unfortunately, it's a pity that you're not improving interactions. By this, I mean dynamically adding content in real-time, for instance, when a post is published, so that a user who is currently in the thread can immediately see the added post without refreshing, and such interactions in the inbox as well.

• Management
7 hours ago, PanSevence said:

Unfortunately, it's a pity that you're not improving interactions. By this, I mean dynamically adding content in real-time, for instance, when a post is published, so that a user who is currently in the thread can immediately see the added post without refreshing, and such interactions in the inbox as well.

Actually it's not a pity seeing as we have that already and are making it better.

Great work as always @Ehren

One thing that really caught my eyes here is how profile' side blocks are handled in Mobile view. I think IPS just nailed it. question here is what happens with blocks with different heights? those seems all in same heights and size, so what if one block is just longer than the others? another question is and maybe i missed something here, is this same method for all other blocks/widgets in mobile view?

On 12/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, AlexJ said:

UI update has Ehren written all over it. Using your themes for past 10 years 🙂 Well done. 

Thanks Alex, I appreciate that! 

5 hours ago, shahed said:

Great work as always @Ehren

One thing that really caught my eyes here is how profile' side blocks are handled in Mobile view. I think IPS just nailed it. question here is what happens with blocks with different heights? those seems all in same heights and size, so what if one block is just longer than the others? another question is and maybe i missed something here, is this same method for all other blocks/widgets in mobile view?

Thanks @shahed

The profile blocks will stretch so they’re all the same height. In testing, this has worked well, but we can always add a max-height to the boxes if they get too tall.

For the moment, “normal widgets” just collapse into a vertical column on mobile, so it’s just the profile ones which scroll. The normal widgets can vary a lot in height, so they might not work as smoothly in a carousel. 

Similar to how RESTful APIs are implemented using versioning for external clients, will there be an option for users to switch between v4 and v5 UIs pointing to the same database?

For instance, the new v5 UI could be pointing to same the doc-root while the v4 UI could be relocated to /old. Users could still use /old for v4 UI until they get used to v5 UI for which /old is not required. Or more ideally, the /old could be stored in the session as a preference so both UIs can be pointed to doc-root. Site owners could set up an Announcement deadline by which the /old version will not be available to users and they should get used to the new version before that.

Sites like Google offer such feature with an option to switch back-n-forth whenever they release new versions -

• New UI
  • Switch to Classic UI

That would make the transition seamless for site owners and users.

17 hours ago, shahed said:

One thing that really caught my eyes here is how profile' side blocks are handled in Mobile view. I think IPS just nailed it.

Although, I always edit my templates so that the feed is on the left and the sidebar block are on the right. This is because if you clicked an email notification for a Status update, it took you to the profile, but on mobile view you had to scroll past all the blocks to get to the feed (I have a lot of blocks due to a lot of profile customizations). By flipping them, the Status update is at the top of the page.

V5 gets rid of Status Updates though, so this may be a non-issue unless a super cool dev brings the feature back to life.

These UI changes are looking really nice, fantastic work as always Ehren. Having you join the IPS design team is undoubtedly one of the most exciting things to happen and your work here is just proving that every day. Looking forward to seeing even more!

I'm also now interested in seeing some of the improvements to the UX that complement the UI changes - in particular the mobile topic/posting experience, which in V4 is currently quite miserable now when you compare the ease of posting on social media apps. Just this morning I tried to post a topic about a news story I read earlier, and it was a constant battle of scrolling up/down just to reach post editor toolbar icons that had been moved off-screen as my post got longer (some elements, like the GIF implementation and URL insertion, are pretty clunky as well).

Not knocking the V4 experience as I know it's a decade old at this point and originally designed to serve a desktop experience over mobile - but at the same time, I can see why many in my community prefer to post status updates when it's currently so difficult to quickly and easily post a topic or a post on the forum via their phones. 😅