(NE) Hide content

• 1 month later...

Just a question. Assuming you don't enable search engines to see the post's content in the plugin's settings. But they can see the forum and they can open the topic (only to find the custom message saying you can't see this topic or anything else one writes there).

Do they get a 403 type error message or any other error message? or as far as they are concerned that's just a thread where the content happens to be whatever you use as a custom message?

I'm just trying to see how would this affect Google's indexing. Basically, I'd like to hide the post's content from them, but let them see the topic title and custom message.

Basically, I'd like to hide the post's content from them, but let them see the topic title and custom message.

Let me explain what the plugin and that setting does.....

The plugin, in general, will hide the content from a group. If you have hidden the content to Guests, then they will see what a guest sees. Nice and simple.....there is no 'error' message other than what you have chosen to display within the plugin's settings. Why? Because the page itself is still viewable.....it's some of the content within it that is hidden from view. If you have turned off Guest access in general in IPS, then they will see whatever page it is that IPS has chosen to display to those viewing it (probably a 403 forbidden)

Now, the setting "Allow search engines to view hidden content", when enabled, overrides that and will SHOW the content to search engines....which is considered cloaking, as you are showing Guests a different result to what the search engine has indexed.

Disabling "Allow search engines to view hidden content" has zero effect.

Edited by Nathan Explosion
3 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Let me explain what the plugin and that setting does.....

The plugin, in general, will hide the content from a group. If you have hidden the content to Guests, then they will see what a guest sees. Nice and simple.....there is no 'error' message other than what you have chosen to display within the plugin's settings. Why? Because the page itself is still viewable.....it's some of the content within it that is hidden from view. If you have turned off Guest access in general in IPS, then they will see whatever page it is that IPS has chosen to display to those viewing it (probably a 403 forbidden)

Now, the setting "Allow search engines to view hidden content", when enabled, overrides that and will SHOW the content to search engines....which is considered cloaking, as you are showing Guests a different result to what the search engine has indexed.

Disabling "Allow search engines to view hidden content" has zero effect.

Thanks; I thought that was the case, and it suits me fine that it works like that. Cheers Nathan.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 5:25 AM, Natea said:

Great plugin, recently purcahed 🙂

It's possible add support to Pages App? Some content I need hide it's in Pages.

I will be implementing support for Pages in the next non-bug fix release (2.3) as it requires a little re-write of my code, similar to what I did with version 1.1 of https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8787-ne-html5-audiovideo-player/

3 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I will be implementing support for Pages in the next non-bug fix release (2.3) as it requires a little re-write of my code, similar to what I did with version 1.1 of https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8787-ne-html5-audiovideo-player/

Thank you so much!
I really need Pages compatibility :3

The plugin works great and your support is amazing, @Nathan Explosion ^^