Ignore user in chat

BradSmith

• 2 months later...

My two cents:

Obviously the ignore feature doesn't really make sense to begin with considering the purpose of a forum is to contribute in a conversation with other users. In chat, it may cause confusion if you place someone on ignore and they are having a conversation with someone else. I understand that aspect but I will explain why it is still a good option to at least have available for users, and why the ignore feature is essential in maintaining a fluid, active, and growing community.

The thing is, with a sports forum, fan debates can get heated and I'd rather not moderate but accommodate to all users. To us, we pretty much want to accept any type of opinion, some people can't handle others opinions and want us to moderate, some want to leave the censorship alone... so considering that conflict it would just make sense to allow users to block the content they don't want instead of remaining silent because they find no enjoyment in interacting with a specific user, giving the user full control of their experience instead of making the staff choosing sides. Not to mention, it takes some heat off the moderation staff and provides a clear cut rule: place the user in conflict on ignore or we will warn you. It's not about ignoring someone as much as it is about personalizing the users experience--this is how users will learn to respect the website and most-likely become a returning user knowing that they have control over their account, can block users that they define as "trolls" and can avoid these types of conflicts that will only grow with the size of the community. Right now we only have one sports team, so it's not too bad, but if we ever wanted to expand to harboring all 30 NHL teams, it would be best to have a fully functional ignore feature across all platforms.

This should not be limited in the chat (meaning public chats should be included in the ignore function), although it would not be completely convenient to have a well-thought conversation with someone (that's what the message board is for anyway, eh?) it would make the chat a perfect place for high-paced user interaction. For example, for us we use the chat on game days, so during the game users interact with small thoughts and reactions, rarely do people have a deep conversation with each other as they do that on the message boards. Sometimes other users are agitated with others in chat and simply do not join in because "so and so" is chatting.

Without a fully functional ignore feature, it actually hurts the health of a community because users find less enjoyment in using some features because other people ruin it for them. These members (the experience ruin-er) are still valuable even if they conflict with other users, because they still contribute to the conversation and some users do appreciate their insight.

Therefore, I suggest that this is added in the next IP.Chat installment, and also consider implementation for other apps such as Content, Gallery, etc.. etc..

My thoughts exactly. We are in the same boat, one user likes a certain player and cannot abide by any opinion to the contrary. They aren't necessarily wrong so I can't stop them from posting but others gets sick of defending their side of topic and either just leave the site or cause a fight every time they meet in the same chat.

• 3 months later...

The thing is, with a sports forum, fan debates can get heated

While that is true, not all sites are "sports forums", and need or want an ignore for in chat... I have actually had some of my own members ask me if its possible to ignore someone in the chat room... And at that time, the only thing I could tell them is "No, but just don't reply to something they say", as that is all I can tell them to do..

members are able to place other members on ignore on other parts of the board, but not able to in the chat room..

Now granted "not all" sites need this ability, but thats just as any other Mod/addon to ones board.. Some people use the "referral system" where others don't, because they don't need it or don't want it.

Even though you have a "sports" forum and don't need the "ignore", there are others that do not have a sports forum, and do need the ignore.

I would actually love to see this implemented into the chat room itself, as well as on the rest of the board.. So that if one chooses to ignore someone, they are able to ignore them through-out the entire site.

I think a true 'ignore' in a chat room would be extremely confusing. I don't think, personally, that it makes sense in a chat room.

Consider an average conversation between Joe, Sue and John. John is ignoring Joe, so his line below wouldn't be shown to John.

John: I love playing Xbox 360.
Joe: See the Yankees game last night?
Sue: The home run was amazing!
John: What? What are you talking about a home run?

You could show Joe said something, perhaps with a "view anyways?" link, but that would defeat the purpose of ignoring in the chat room. Conversations would get disjointed and replies would stop making sense to any user who is ignoring another user when there is an active conversation. How would you work around that exactly?

I think a true 'ignore' in a chat room would be extremely confusing. I don't think, personally, that it makes sense in a chat room.

Consider an average conversation between Joe, Sue and John. John is ignoring Joe, so his line below wouldn't be shown to John.

[s]Joe: See the Yankees game last night?[/s]

You could show Joe said something, perhaps with a "view anyways?" link, but that would defeat the purpose of ignoring in the chat room. Conversations would get disjointed and replies would stop making sense to any user who is ignoring another user when there is an active conversation. How would you work around that exactly?

You can say exactly the same thing about ignoring users' posts in forums. If you add some sort of small visual indication that a message has been ignored (like on the forums) I don't think it would get too confusing.

Yeah, I'm not even saying it's a good idea to use it. But it's a feature that is obviously in high demand, and I don't see why we shouldn't have this feature in IP.Chat if pretty much every other chat application on the planet supports it too.

[s]Joe: See the Yankees game last night?[/s]

Theres where PMs come into play actually... John could send Sue a PM and ask what that was about... and sue says "I was replying to "joe""

That ends it right there... However.. If John has Joe on ignore, obviously, there was a reason for it... And Joe would still show up in the Online users list of the chat room, so John knows Joe is in there... he just cant see his chat..

(What Sue sees)
Joe: See the Yankees game last night?

(What John sees)
Joe: (user on ignore (Click here) to un-ignore) (or some preferable word)
John: (some other new sentance here)

Then it wouldn't be as confusing, and if Joe was accidentally set on ignore instead of Sue, at least they would know.. and can un-ignore them. The "click here" would open in a new window/tab and take the user to their profile of the "ignore" page, yadda yadda yadda....

could even make it an option in the ACP maybe... under member groups > chat
Allow group to ignore users in chat Yes|No (but not allowed to ignore Moderators or Admins)
And Moderators can not ignore Admins or other Moderators

I dunno, sound like to much there? lol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm losing chatters because there is no option to ignore a user on chat, other then PM's. Please do something. I need the option to ignore a user on chat on my site, because it is for mental health support. Some chatters cause each other distress but need to use the chat. My members are making complaints.

I'm losing chatters because there is no option to ignore a user on chat, other then PM's. Please do something. I need the option to ignore a user on chat on my site, because it is for mental health support. Some chatters cause each other distress but need to use the chat. My members are making complaints.

How about you have forums for certain users instead? I know it's not the same but it could work. I unfortunately haven't the skill to create a modification, but if you want to make a mod request, you can do so here.

How about you have forums for certain users instead? I know it's not the same but it could work. I unfortunately haven't the skill to create a modification, but if you want to make a mod request, you can do so

here.

I have submitted a request now thank you. I have private forums but it needs it in the chat room. All other well known mental health chat rooms have the ignore option, people are joining my site but going back to the other sites because of the lack of ignore. Personally I have never ever ignored anyone myself on any of the rooms, defeats the purpose for me, but it seems so many people do. My chatters are dwindling considerably and it is because when you have a lot of people virtually on the chat room all day, or in and out all day repeating their fears and worries, the ignore is necessary. And I would say 70% of my regular members only use the chat room, or mainly the chat room too.

The other option is to use a different chat software but looking around its expensive for what I need.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived