Official online support & guides

Gary B

Hi - I've just started using IPB 3 and Converge for a works project (very time limited) and I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the lack of Official online support and Help guides for both and no CSS guide either is making things very hit and miss for me as a beginner

I realise they're new but I'd expected there to be more available than nothing or have I missed them - if so then any links appreciated

Is there any news on if guides will be made and when they'll be available please - I'm guessing they'll unfortunately be too late for me though :(

I'd much rather use a guide than continually pose question after question via the client area as I'm sure they have better things to do too and it's also time consuming on my part

[quote name='Gary B' date='15 September 2009 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1253001324' post='1856203']
Hi - I've just started using IPB 3 and Converge for a works project (very time limited) and I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the lack of Official online support and Help guides for both and no CSS guide either is making things very hit and miss for me as a beginner

I realise they're new but I'd expected there to be more available than nothing or have I missed them - if so then any links appreciated

Is there any news on if guides will be made and when they'll be available please - I'm guessing they'll unfortunately be too late for me though :(

I can guarentee if you post any questions you have here on this site, you will find th support you're looking for, and its expected that there would not be alot of guides and support, when the product has just been released. I checked google and was able to find this CSS guide. http://guide-css.invisionpower.fr/IPB-3.0-EN/ hopefully that helps, if you have any other issues im sure the community here would be more than willing to help you out.

[quote name='shawnking' date='15 September 2009 - 08:59 AM' timestamp='1253001560' post='1856204']
I can guarentee if you post any questions you have here on this site, you will find th support you're looking for, and its expected that there would not be alot of guides and support, when the product has just been released. I checked google and was able to find this CSS guide. http://guide-css.invisionpower.fr/IPB-3.0-EN/ hopefully that helps, if you have any other issues im sure the community here would be more than willing to help you out.

Thanks for that link, it's some help - I wasn't expecting a LOT of guides, just an Official one tbh

I've posted other questions on here and still not got answers so it's not all as you say
http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/292170-converge-remove-user-request/
http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/292907-registration-form-additional-fields

The way we see it, there are thee types of documentation:

- General Questions "How do I do this?", "What does this button do?", etc.
This is provided through the inline ACP docs (a logical place since you'll probably be on the page when you think of these questions) - when viewing a page in the Admin CP, if you need extra help with the functions on the page, click the "Get Help With This Page" button. It's a work in progress, not all pages have documentation yet - but they main ones do, and every time someone requests a page that's not, we're logging that request to build a list of most requested pages.

- Problems / Known Issues "I have x setup and when I do y, I get z"
This is provided through the knowledgebase in the client area (a logical place since if the knowledgebase doesn't have your answer, you'll submit a support ticket) I think at some point we're going to improve that knoweldgebase some.

- Guides
This is what I think you're after the most. Guides are kind of a walkthrough for some of the more complicated stuff, or at least stuff with multiple steps.
At the moment, this is what we know we're lacking in and what we're focussing on internally - we should have some nice stuff for you soon.

Like I say, all are going to continually improve over time, but it's important to remember to make use of all three - the inline ACP help has a lot of information in, so if your question is of the "How do I..." nature, your answer is probably in there :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Mark' date='15 September 2009 - 08:38 AM' timestamp='1253003907' post='1856211']
- Guides
This is what I think you're after the most. Guides are kind of a walkthrough for some of the more complicated stuff, or at least stuff with multiple steps.
At the moment, this is what we know we're lacking in and what we're focussing on internally - we should have some nice stuff for you soon.

Uh-oh...

This is almost exactly what I too was looking for. Should make this a bit of a priority for novices like us.

Archived