Suggestion for IPB 3.0

Guest idanz

Hi,
There are a lot of .NET developers who are also forums admins.
Some of them (like me and more) are admins of IPB forums
When a .NET developer wants to develop a modifictaion for a PHP forum, it's kind of problem - especially if he wants to do it with one of the .NET languages.
When I developed a .NET modifiction for IPB, there were a lot of problems with complex solutions in PHP (like the nusoap.php class).
I think that if IPS will provide an option to import an asmx webservice and to display the value which returned from it, it's going to be a big easing, because all of us know that .NET developer prefers to develop a modifiction in .NET and not in PHP.

Thanks, Idan.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oooooor .NET developers can just learn PHP. I think that's the best solution.

It's not going to happen. I don't want to open a debate about PHP vs. ASP.NET, I came with a suggestion which can help a lot of people.
The technoligies expanding is a very important topic, and I think IPS should get this suggestion.
Like I said, .NET developer prefers to build an application in his "mother tongue", and not to learn a new language.

IP.Board is a PHP driven application though. IPS sell it as a PHP driven application and as that's its main purpose, I doubt something like this will ever be done. Its up to you, the developer, to make things work how you want them..

I am not agree with you.
I'll give you an example:
Microsoft had released a driver for PHP which makes the connection to SQL Server easier, although SQL Server SQL Server had developed by Microsoft for Microsoft technoligies.
So, why Microsoft did it? in order to convince more developers to use this product. Thats exactly what IPS should do!
Why should I learn PHP if IPS can make me use .NET? It's an advantage for me (easier) and also for IPS (more customers).

Like I said, .NET developer prefers to build an application in his "mother tongue", and not to learn a new language.

PHP developers prefer to build an application in their native language, and not learn another language too. ;)

I'm afraid we do not have any developers here overly proficient in .NET, and it is unlikely we will port IPB to ASP (or any other language). PHP is a widely supported scripting language, and it is simply what our software is developed in. Your request is akin to asking someone who wrote an application in C++ to port it to JAVA because they only know JAVA. It just doesn't work that way for the most part.

If I'm understanding correctly, you want to be able to make calls to web services from within IPB.
I get the idea, but I can't think of any obvious situations where you would use it. Do you have an example of what would you use it for?

I am not agree with you.

I'll give you an example:

Microsoft had released a driver for PHP which makes the connection to SQL Server easier, although SQL Server SQL Server had developed by Microsoft for Microsoft technoligies.

So, why Microsoft did it? in order to convince more developers to use this product. Thats exactly what IPS should do!

Why should I learn PHP if IPS can make me use .NET? It's an advantage for me (easier) and also for IPS (more customers).

to be honest i've never ever heard of or seen a .net application for ipb and as your last sentence says... why add .NET support when IPS can make you use PHP :P.

I understand bfarber...

If I'm understanding correctly, you want to be able to make calls to web services from within IPB.

I get the idea, but I can't think of any obvious situations where you would use it. Do you have an example of what would you use it for?

For example, I developed a modifiction for my from which displays the last 5 posts with a webservice.
I did it with a webservice because I don't know PHP, but that wasn't easy. IPS can make it easier :)

to be honest i've never ever heard of or seen a .net application for ipb and as your last sentence says... why add .NET support when IPS can make you use PHP :P.

In my IPB there is a .NET Application.
And I didn't ask a .NET support! I asked for a webservice importing option.
I won't use PHP, I already know C#, so why should I learn PHP?

Why would a big company change for just 1 person? I really don't understand why you are asking them to do this.

Are you crazy? there are more .NET developers than PHP developers, it's not "just for me".
However, I understand it's not going to happen if you don't have the knowledge to do it, so thank you anyway.

PHP might not be the most popular (I dont know if it is or not) but its certainly the fastest growing language out there. And to be honest, if you want to edit IP.Board, you should really use the language it uses, not another one.

PHP might not be the most popular (I dont know if it is or not) but its certainly the fastest growing language out there. And to be honest, if you want to edit IP.Board, you should really use the language it uses, not another one.

Why not? a developer must be creative! if I can't use PHP, I should find a new solution (like a webservice) that works.

There isnt a reason that makes .NET support a must.
IP.Board is build with PHP and I havent seen anyone complaining about it, if you want to develop IP.Board you should use the language its written in, and if you dont know it, find someone else who does.
I think that making IP.Board .NET supported is a waste of time that should be dedicated to the development of IP different services.

There isnt a reason that makes .NET support a must.

IP.Board is build with PHP and I havent seen anyone complaining about it, if you want to develop IP.Board you should use the language its written in, and if you dont know it, find someone else who does.

I think that making IP.Board .NET supported is a waste of time that should be dedicated to the development of IP different services.

Couldn't agree more. IP.Board should in no way have to develop support for a minority of users. I've been using IP.Board for around 4 years and not once have I ever come across someone wanting .NET support. I visit these forums and plenty of other forums based around this software and have never seen this requested by anyone..

Why? I can't understand you, is it so disturbing that there is an option to use .NET?

Can't you support me and convince IPS to do that?

I personally can't support that - and I have an MCTS in .NET! PHP is not that hard to work with. In fact, if you know C#, PHP is quite easy to grasp. I still fail to see too exactly how having the ability within IPB to consume Web Services would help - exposing some might be kind of useful though (and by the way, .NET Web Services use SOAP, so any SOAP compliant service the board exposes would be accessible to .NET clients straight away).

Another mistake you made above is how you claimed Microsoft made available an MSSQL driver for PHP. Actually, they didn't. The PHP MSSQL driver from the PHP developers uses the SQL Driver from MSSQL 6, meaning it's hugely limited - doesn't even understand the concept of locking more atomic than table level! The (difficult to set up) FreeTDS driver is also not from Microsoft, but at least it's fully SQL2005 compliant (don't believe it supports SQL2008 spatial types).

In my IPB there is a .NET Application.

And I didn't ask a .NET support! I asked for a webservice importing option.

I won't use PHP, I already know C#, so why should I learn PHP?

You should learn PHP to make yourself a more proficient and marketable programmer. I learned Java first. Then I learned C#, which is 95% the same as Java from a syntax standpoint. From there I learned PHP, which is similar to those but with some nice differences. It took me a matter of a few days to understand the vast majority of PHP and I use the PHP website often to run through their API (like I always do for Java and C#). Plus, IPB's code is great to look through (in most cases) to learn how to program with the PHP syntax.

I'd encourage you to just learn PHP. You'd be better off that way.

Archived