Roadmap for IPB 3.0?

Guest Energizer

I hate updating for one :P One of my sites is still running 2.2.1, and the other is only running 2.3.1 because that was what it was when it was installed. I only upgrade when I absolutely must, or there is something cool in it ;), otherwise, it stays as it is.

I frequent these forums and have to say i think the current release-pattern is pretty spot on.

A release is made when IPS feels the files are ready to be released and/or patches given for security issues. Makes sense to me.

I'd quite like to see a new system implemented where the "new" versions are released to these numpties a month or so before actual completion, and of course all support tickets regarding their broken forums would/should be forwarded to the shredder...

The majority of our customers do not use our company forums.

But that doesn't mean feedback from the customer who do isn't important.

We just found the majority really dislike updating often.

I'm one of these update-hating people. Don't get me wrong, I am as thirsty for new features and bug-fixes as anybody else, it's just very tedious to update and then fix all the modifications that broke - and the skins. *ugh*

I'm one of these update-hating people. Don't get me wrong, I am as thirsty for new features and bug-fixes as anybody else, it's just very tedious to update and then fix all the modifications that broke - and the skins. *ugh*

Exactly the point I was making. :) A lot of people loathe seeing a new update once a month (who remembers the 2.1 days?)

As a result, we try to time our releases appropriately to balance bug fixes and new features. We don't want major updates spread too far apart, but we don't want them too frequent either. Security updates are released ASAP, and usually separately from any other release.

I don't mind updating every month or so, if there were a lot of updates, I wouldn't really like it because I would just have to do more work upgrading my forum rather than focusing on the members. Sometimes you just need a upgrade because you want to upgrade it again though :P

I disagree. Updates are definitely spread out pretty far. I don't see what the problem is for people that don't like updating a lot though. Skip the update if you don't want to update while those who do want it, can update. On the other hand something tells 3.0 will come out by 2009 :(

You are right, 3.0 will most likely be out by 2009. :rolleyes:

There is also the factor that someone has to WRITE the code to do these updates. I am mostly handling IPB right now (with Matt focusing on the business product line), but I also work on Converge, Gallery, Download Manager, running IPS Beyond, advanced support tickets, and lots of other miscellaneous things that need to get done behind the scenes but don't get much attention publicly. It takes time to do things right. I'm afraid no matter how much you'd like updates daily, we're just not able to do that in a reliable and stable fashion, sorry. :)

You are right, 3.0 will most likely be out by 2009. :rolleyes:

There is also the factor that someone has to WRITE the code to do these updates. I am mostly handling IPB right now (with Matt focusing on the business product line), but I also work on Converge, Gallery, Download Manager, running IPS Beyond, advanced support tickets, and lots of other miscellaneous things that need to get done behind the scenes but don't get much attention publicly. It takes time to do things right. I'm afraid no matter how much you'd like updates daily, we're just not able to do that in a reliable and stable fashion, sorry. :)

Oh really? :o
I heard Jelsoft are working on the next major release of vBulletin (v4.0).

Oh really? :o

I heard Jelsoft are working on the next major release of vBulletin (v4.0).

If you are referring to my first statement, the "rolleyes" emoticon was meant to hint at my sarcasm. I would expect 3.0 to be out long before 2009. ;) So, if that's the case, then yes, it will be out "by" 2009 (if it was released 10 minutes ago, it would have been out by 2009, correct?)

I don't find it good when the IPB is neglected because of other products in its further development. IPB is the flag ship of IPS and should have priority in front of all other products. The time between the individual further developments of the IPB are very long in comparison with other developers.

LOL, are you kidding me? IPB has been given the most attention and updates. Which other product receives more attention? I think you're really impatient to wait for 3.0 most of us are happy witn 2.3. I'm sure the skinners, modders don't want 3.0 to come out for at least another year. You really have to think of the developers as well, not just yourself. :thumbsup: I think your statement is selfish. Invision is a business, they can't just reply one one product to stay in the game.

vBulletin 4.0 doesnt really mean anything, they seem to release a new point release every week..

You are wrong.
They are now working on v3.7.0 which has a lot more features, and may even have a new template based web 2.0.
And v4.0 is in alpha which is going to be a really major release.
IPB and vBulletin have to learn from each other. I personal like IPB more, but due to the very smart and fast way to install mods and templates whitout make a single change to the code by yourself, and the community of mods growing by every day vBulletin is much better indeed.
IPB has a lot work to do as vBulletin does, competitors made to learn from each other.

If you are referring to my first statement, the "rolleyes" emoticon was meant to hint at my sarcasm. I would expect 3.0 to be out long before 2009. ;) So, if that's the case, then yes, it will be out "by" 2009 (if it was released 10 minutes ago, it would have been out by 2009, correct?)

Haha, you got me. ;)

LOL, are you kidding me? IPB has been given the most attention and updates. Which other product receives more attention? I think you're really impatient to wait for 3.0 most of us are happy witn 2.3. I'm sure the skinners, modders don't want 3.0 to come out for at least another year. You really have to think of the developers as well, not just yourself. :thumbsup: I think your statement is selfish. Invision is a business, they can't just reply one one product to stay in the game.

At the moment when I bought my license for the IPB, other products weren't a great topic yet. One says now that because of the other products the further development of the IPB only makes with less features and in quite a long time. Please, what is egotistical at my opinion? They think of the customers who have or need only a license for the IPB, too. Shall these accept that their license more helps that they may use their IPB but the further development becomes a rare matter with new features in acceptable intervals?

vBulletin should create a new AdminCP (Sytle?) for 3.7 or 4.0, the AdminCP of 3.6 is horrible <_<

IPB could also lean something from Woltlab BurningBoard 3.0 ;)

That is right, I thought that not many know of this script, but yeah.
About the vBulletin, yes you are right, a new adminCP may come in the v4.0

That is right, I thought that not many know of this script, but yeah.

In Germany WBB is pretty famous. Some reasons may be that there is a big community witch is speaking german and WBB Lite is free available.

I didn't like WBB very much but since 3.0 it's a really nice software. It's not as nice and professional as IPB 2.3 in my opinion, but WBB 3.0 has some features I would like to see in IPB 3.0.

Also WBB 3.0

Exactly the point I was making. :) A lot of people loathe seeing a new update once a month (who remembers the 2.1 days?)

As a result, we try to time our releases appropriately to balance bug fixes and new features. We don't want major updates spread too far apart, but we don't want them too frequent either. Security updates are released ASAP, and usually separately from any other release.

You know why we loathe updating don't you bfarber? its cus we have to edit tons of files all over again to make our mod edits... you know what solve this... The plugins system :P. So after 3.0 you can update every 6months :P.

you hear that everyone it was released 10mins ago?!?! /me goes to his client area! :blink:

Also WBB 3.0 impressed me, because it's valid XHTML1.1 and nice PHP5 :)

XHTML 1.1 sent as text/html (which WBB is doing with 100% probability) is invalid XHTML (and invalid HTML).

I personally don't understand the hype around XHTML. If the software can't produce valid XHTML-Code wether or not content has been added they should go with HTML which is in no way worse than XHTML (it's even better). This content will never be able to be displayed as real XML. Which harms the XHTML Standard.

XHTML also creates some nasty interoperability problems (DOM methods). And sending it as HTML is only harming the HTML-Standard which now must parse even more tag soup (like <br /> an such).

Oh sorry, it just overcame me on this ;)

I think it's safe to say that this topic has been derailed and going nowhere. IP.Board is NOT a neglected product because of our other products. It is very much receiving the necessary attention for bug fixes/updates. We will release information on IP.Board 3.0, when it is time to do so.

Please be patient.

Archived