Why is it

Guest AndyF

Andy, I completely agree with you.

It is also remarkable that some of these questions do get answers from other members who should know better. I thought that only I had members who never passed or attempted Reading 101.

It is no different at Beyond with the number of members who choose not to display the version of the board they are using either via the CP or in the posts themselves. It is no different than the members who create topics with generic titles like HELP.

Enough venting.

• Management

The simple answer is, in most cases, they can't use IPSBeyond or the ticket system. :)

Many times, it's discovered that the forum in question is already in our piracy tracker (which expedites our efforts in getting the site shut down.) If one lacks the common sense and decency to follow the rules in using the product, it's expected that one will blatantly break the rules in obtaining support. It is amusing, however, that after blatantly stealing company's product that they then turn around and put themselves on the radar by asking that very company for support.

With that said, there are the few that don't blatantly disregard the big message at the top of the screen, but rather, are simply anxious, excited or in a panic and post for immediate assistance.

Or could be that they're used to asking support questions for other products at the sellers site. It's a bit unique having to go to another site to ask a question rather than the site you where you bought the product from. I can't see why the 2 sites can't be combined into one site i.e. one lot of forums.

My 2 cents

• Management

At least thats how most companies seem to run their forums.

To be honest, we're fairly unique in the sense that we once had a free version of the software that frankly still often overruns these forums with support / "is it free" requests, often detracting (just imagine how bad it would be if there wasn't a big box on the top of the screen!) from the focus of feedback and discussion related to the improvement of our existing and future products. As a result, we unfortunately have to keep things more tidy than what one might consider typical.

We also don't force you to discontinue use of the software if you choose not to renew like most other companies do with subscription based licensing. As such, we must of course draw the line in what we're able to provide as part of the original license purchase, as I'm sure you can understand.

With that said, we agree that IPSBeyond is a bit distant. The plan to revamp it and make better use of these forums is still underway.

To be honest, we're fairly unique in the sense that we once had a free version of the software that frankly still often overruns these forums with support / "is it free" requests, often detracting (just imagine how bad it would be if there

wasn't

a big box on the top of the screen!) from the focus of feedback and discussion related to the improvement of our existing and future products. As a result, we unfortunately have to keep things more tidy than what one might consider typical.

We also don't force you to discontinue use of the software if you choose not to renew like most other companies do with subscription based licensing. As such, we must of course draw the line in what we're able to provide as part of the original license purchase, as I'm sure you can understand.

With that said, we agree that IPSBeyond is a bit distant. The plan to revamp it and make better use of these forums is still underway.

Oh I'm not saying that support should be provided by the company, it's just commonly people can at least get support from other customer's on the developer's site, not so much a developer unless it's a bug, so people expect it of here and don't read an inch of text before posting. However you're right, invisionfree doesn't help...

Maybe an integration of ipsbeyond and this? Where people can get support from each other in a sub-forum, and company inquiries are either kept in tickets or on a separate sub-forum?

It's sometimes hard for people to adjust to change when things have been a certain way for so long. phpBB and vBulletin both offer support on their company forums, so I can only imagine that the same would happen over there if they closed down their support and said "go elsewhere for your support needs".

I do think, though; that IPS has the right idea going here, and I am waiting to see what the redesign of IPSBeyond brings us. :)

PS - Sorry Brandon (bfarber) for being so edgy the other day in the bug tracker. :(

Archived