Validation email problem?

Go to solution Solved by Eric Mattson1,

@Marc Thanks for checking that. 

It looks like the problem arose about 22 hours ago. And I'm at 500+ new users with this problem. 

Literally every single user in almost a full day has failed to confirm their account. Which makes me skeptical that those emails are being sent regardless of what the logs say. 

I just created a test account and did not receive the activation email. 

Any ideas? 

Eric

13 minutes ago, Eric Mattson1 said:

@Marc Thanks for checking that. 

It looks like the problem arose about 22 hours ago. And I'm at 500+ new users with this problem. 

Literally every single user in almost a full day has failed to confirm their account. Which makes me skeptical that those emails are being sent regardless of what the logs say. 

I just created a test account and did not receive the activation email. 

Any ideas? 

Eric

I have moved this to a ticket so we can assist you further with your issue. Please watch your email for further correspondence. 

• Solution

Just adding to this thread for future users' knowledge and troubleshooting. 

The reason my users were not getting emails is because Invision turned off all emails from my site without notifying me in any way.

It took me 24 hours to discover this dynamic (and 500 activation emails to new users that weren't sent) and it sounds like the logs were saying the emails were still being sent even though that was clearly not true. 

They did this because they felt I violated their "fair use" email volume because I emailed my large user base (200k+) 1-2 times per week to drive usage, promote features, etc. I'm not adding to this thread to complain though I'll need to have a further conversation with them about that dynamic.  

Mainly I just want other Invision users to be able to troubleshoot this faster in the future if they run into the same issues. 

Edited by Eric Mattson1

• Management

I am sorry you were not notified before the system auto-blocked your emails. It's not really an excuse but this is the first time the backend ever had to block a site for email overuse so we did not have a good communication procedure. In 20+ years we have never had a site sending millions of emails a month so it just never came up 😀.

We host communities with way more members than you have but it seems like you are sending a lot of follow up and activity emails to them that is outside the norm for community use.

@Charles I appreciate the apology. And how quickly you all sorted it out once we identified the issue. (Thanks to @Marc too for escalating it.) 

Given that you've never run into it before, it makes complete sense why there is no process in place. I just assumed that you must see this issue regularly but clearly I was wrong. 

Thanks again for sorting it.