Upgrade from v4.4.6 // PHP v7.4 // MySQL8

Hi Folks

I'm trying to upgrade from IPB v4.4.6, but I am having some headaches that seem to have me stuck in a catch-22 situation.

I go to the "AdminCP > Support > Something isn't working > Upgrade, I then run into this;

You are running PHP version 7.4.33. You need PHP 8.0.0 or above. You should contact your hosting provider or system administrator to ask for an upgrade.

However, this is where the problems begin. If I switch out the PHP version to v8.1, the entire site dies, with a white screen of death.

Error log shows this: (I've starred out the cPanel username)

[11-Jul-2024 04:23:23 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function IPS\get_magic_quotes_gpc() in /home/********/public_html/system/Request/Request.php:117
Stack trace:
#0 /home/********/public_html/system/Request/Request.php(96): IPS\_Request->clean('reportComment', 'do')
#1 /home/********/public_html/system/Request/Request.php(50): IPS\_Request->parseIncomingRecursively(Array)
#2 /home/********/public_html/system/Patterns/Singleton.php(41): IPS\_Request->__construct()
#3 /home/********/public_html/system/Log/Log.php(106): IPS\Patterns\_Singleton::i()
#4 /home/********/public_html/init.php(894): IPS\_Log::log('Error: Call to ...', 'uncaught_except...')
#5 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::exceptionHandler(Object(Error))
#6 {main}
  thrown in /home/********/public_html/system/Request/Request.php on line 117

So I'm at a loss now.. We are the hosting company... We've been messing about with this all night long and cant see any way forward here.

We can't upgrade it because it wants PHP v8 or higher and dies if we give it what it wants. PHP v8.0 or v8.1 same result.

Soon as we put it back to v7.4 it works, but then refuses to upgrade.

I have uploaded the ipb4.php file too, everything is green, all exceeds the minimum requirements.

Anybody got any ideas on what to do next?

Edited by RCITGuy

Hi RCITGuy,

I can confirm that what Nathan says is the way to do it -- we did the equivalent in August 2023.

Short version is (1) you switch PHP to PHP 8.1 which stops your current install from working then (2) you download and install a full kit from your client area on Invision for a manual install.

Do ALL the steps in the linked thread and you should be fine.

John