Login and theme error

4 minutes ago, lschuc said:

I am looking at the /forums folder in the server, but I don't know how to see or fine the version 3 files to delete.   

You would simply compare a fresh download files folder from the Client Area to yours and delete any folders which are not there. Be sure to leave /uploads and take a file system backup prior.

Again,  I can not upgrade to the latest version since I am unable to log into the ACP

You would need to perform a manual upgrade.

Jim,  I downloaded the upgrade folder from the client area (folder name: its_851.be).  Would I run the upgrade from my computer?  or replace file?   Not sure how to upgrade the forum software since I CAN NOT log into the ACP.    

And the upgrade folder I downloaded from the client area 15 items (8 folders and 7 files). The /forums folder on the server has 30 items.  

Since I am stuck permanently on this,  I wish you could identify the old version files and remove them and install the latest version for me.  I would pay Invision Community for the tech support, if required.  I just need to get this fixed. 

Since I am stuck permanently on this,  I wish you could identify the old version files and remove them and install the latest version for me.

Sorry, as you are self-hosted this would be for yourself to perform, I'm afraid. We do not provide self-hosted file management services. If you would like to be hands off and not have to manage files, we do offer our Cloud platform. You would simply compare your file system to the download folders and delete the folders on your system which are not in the downloaded folder structure.

Jim,  I downloaded the upgrade folder from the client area (folder name: its_851.be).  Would I run the upgrade from my computer?  or replace file?   Not sure how to upgrade the forum software since I CAN NOT log into the ACP.    

Please read the following guide on Manual Upgrades:

It's possible to upgrade even if you can't login into the ACP, however, you need to:

1. Manually upload all the files for the latest version.
  2. Switch the PHP version to 8.1.
  3. Go to /admin/upgrade and login with a known working ACP account.
  4. Once the upgrade is complete, you should be able to login again. If not, IPS support (or whoever you hire to do the upgrade for you) will be able to help at that point.

Randy's suggestion is probably the best solution given the whole back and forth on this topic. 🤷‍♂️

Its worth mentioning, we do have a cloud based platform which may be a lot more suited to your needs, if you are uncomfortable with server related tasks. Things like this would simply no longer be an issue. The problem you have at present is you're unsure on how to perform the files tasks, and for the most part, versions of server items arent up to date with what you need in order to keep things running. 

We would of course help you to transition over, if you are interested

https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

Posted (edited)

Jim, teraByte, Marc S., 

I did what you recommended yesterday and updated the server PHP to actually 8.3 newest version and then after downloading the latest forum version from your client area, manually moved all the files from the folder into the web server (but not moving the Uploads folder since it holds all the images users have supplied.

Then I ran the upgrade process, aoai.org/forums/admin/upgrade and ran the upgrade.   I can now go to the site (aoai.org/forums) and do not see any error messages as before, but clicking on any item brings up a page: 

OOPS! THAT PAGE CAN’T BE FOUND.

It looks like nothing was found at this location. Maybe try one of the links below or a search?

Is the forum software disconnected from the database?  and if so, how to reconnect? 

Also, I am apparently logged into the forum page, but when I try to go to the ACP I can. not log in.  I get a red box warning: The email address or password was incorrect. Please try again (make sure your caps lock is off).

I don't see where I can change/update the password. 

Also, when I go to a different web browser to log in, I guess I'm logging in , but get the same OOPS! THAT PAGE CAN'T BY FOUND page.

So, I must be getting closer to solving this,  I hope! 

Edited by lschuc

PHP to actually 8.3 newest version

PHP 8.3 is not supported. You will need to do PHP 8.1.

5 minutes ago, lschuc said:

OOPS! THAT PAGE CAN’T BE FOUND.

You'll want to go to ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization -> then download and apply the .htaccess file according to the instructions in the description of the "Rewrite URLs" field.

7 minutes ago, lschuc said:

Also, I am apparently logged into the forum page, but when I try to go to the ACP I can. not log in.  I get a red box warning: The email address or password was incorrect. Please try again (make sure your caps lock is off).

You would need to check the credentials which you're using to login. The login form is request email address and password. Please ensure you're doing so appropriately. If your browser is inserting your display name and password from saved credentials, this is likely why it is stating it is invalid.

Jim, 

I changed the PHP version to 8.1  so now need to go to the ACP but not getting the password correct for my email.  I changed/updated them yesterday and put them in the stored access information on Invision's suite for you all to use, but can't see what I wrote... just dots.  Is there some way for me to see that?    
Using another browser, I clicked on the SIGN IN link and then the Forgot Password link, but that also only shows a page with the OOPS! THAT PAGE CAN'T BE FOUND.
So apparently I can not see how to change/update my passwords,  or if I'm really using the correct passwords,  the login page or ACP is not recognizing it.

Any way to get past this, either changing the passwords or recognizing the passwords? 

Just now, lschuc said:

Is there some way for me to see that?    

I'm afraid, we cannot provide you the password on file for security purposes.

In your backup, you will want to see if there is a .htaccess and then move that to your working directory if so. If not, please let me know and I can disable URL rewrites for you in the ACP.

I found the .htacess file from the last backup and moved it into the aoai folder, but now rather that ask for an email and password, it downloads a PHP file with the code: 

<?php
/**
 * @brief        Admin CP bootstrap
 * @author        <a href='https://www.invisioncommunity.com'>Invision Power Services, Inc.</a>
 * @copyright    (c) Invision Power Services, Inc.
 * @license       https://www.invisioncommunity.com/legal/standards/
 * @package        Invision Community
 * @since        18 Feb 2013
 */

\define('REPORT_EXCEPTIONS', TRUE);
require_once '../init.php';
\IPS\Dispatcher\Admin::i()->run();

Is there a way to reset the htaccess file another way? 

Jim,  I finally got the forum to work.   Since I couldn't log onto the ACP at the time, I retrieved the .htaccess from the previous day from a backup, put it in the Forums folder and now we can log in and read and post to the forum.  

But looking at some of the topics/posts that have images, the images from before today seem to all be broken.  In the ACP > Files section, I see all the image file names, but those from before July 9 are broken images in their posts.   How can run something to get them attached?  Would I also need to go to ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization -> then download and apply the .htaccess file according to the instructions in the description of the "Rewrite URLs" field.

No, the images are not missing from the server, they are listed in the files list in the ACP.  The images put on posts yesterday show but previous posts with images show broken in their posts. 

do I need to run something to reconnect those other images to their posts? 

3 minutes ago, lschuc said:

No, the images are not missing from the server, they are listed in the files list in the ACP.  The images put on posts yesterday show but previous posts with images show broken in their posts. 

do I need to run something to reconnect those other images to their posts? 

You would need to ensure that your /uploads folder is in the correct spot on your server. Sounds like it is not.

Keep in mind that our software does not load the images, we use HTML to do an HTTP call to your server for the browser to load the image (normal HTML img tag). Thus, think of what we store in the database and what you're seeing in the ACP is just the attachment name and path on your server. If the image is not loading, the image does not exist on your server so you need to correct that on your server.

Posted (edited)

Jim,  I just rechecked and the /uploads folder is in the /forums folder where I think it should be. 

Posts people did yesterday after the forum came back online show images, but not previous days posts. 

Edited by lschuc

6 minutes ago, lschuc said:

Jim,  I just rechecked and the /uploads folder is in the /forums folder where I think it should be. 

You will want to check your backup to ensure everything copied over correctly then as if you're missing files, this was not done correctly or you are missing files. I'm afraid, this is not a software issue.

When I copied files from the new version folder I had downloaded from the client file area,  I moved them into my Forums folder except for the Uploads folder.  I left that folder unchanged, since I did not want to overwrite the old Uploads folder with the new one, which would have been empty. 

1 minute ago, lschuc said:

When I copied files from the new version folder I had downloaded from the client file area,  I moved them into my Forums folder except for the Uploads folder.  I left that folder unchanged, since I did not want to overwrite the old Uploads folder with the new one, which would have been empty. 

You would need to investigate with your hosting provider what happened to these files as they were not deleted by the software, I'm afraid.

OK.. will do.  thanks Jim for your help and guidance this week!   I know it was frustrating for me and probably repetitious  for you 🙂    Overall, the Invision Forum has been pretty much trouble free and hands-off for probably more than our 10+ years of use.  I truly appreciate everyone's help this week and in past years!