Clubs & Events

So... I have never really messed with Clubs or Events before. As I was doing some testing, I noticed that all events that are created in Public or Open clubs seem to be going into the community calendar. Am I missing something, or is there a setting so either the events are self contained to that group, or the main calendar will only show group events for groups you are a member of?

Edited by ghinton

There is an adminCP setting (presume it works for events as well as forums) - "Show Club Content Areas" which can be set to one of: "Only Within Clubs" or "Throughout the Community". It sounds as though you have this set to "Throughout the Community"?

Under V4 this is a system wide setting rather than per club.

John

8 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

It will show only ones you have the permission to see

Where do we look in the ACP to find the permission you describe?

5 hours ago, BN_IT_Support said:

There is an adminCP setting (presume it works for events as well as forums) - "Show Club Content Areas" which can be set to one of: "Only Within Clubs" or "Throughout the Community". It sounds as though you have this set to "Throughout the Community"?

John

I looked in the ACP for forums and I checked settings under Forums and could find nothing that you describe. Then I checked the permissions for a given forum, again, I found nothing.

If you could, please relay the exact acp steps to find this "Show Club Content Areas."

8 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

It will show only ones you have the permission to see

So basically, if there are 100 clubs, which are set to public or open, and they all have events, you will see all of those events on the community calendar, even if you are not a member of the club?

5 hours ago, BN_IT_Support said:

John

Mine is set to Only Within Clubs

Just now, ghinton said:

So basically, if there are 100 clubs, which are set to public or open, and they all have events, you will see all of those events on the community calendar, even if you are not a member of the club?

If that is true, then why even have events in the clubs for public or open.  It is just the same thing as creating an event in Events.  This isn't directed at you @ghinton , it is a question for IPS support.

4 minutes ago, ghinton said:

Ah, finally found it and the fine print says:

Content areas are the forums, categories, etc. created by Group Owners in their groups.

That does not specifically say events one way or another. 

21 minutes ago, ghinton said:

19 minutes ago, TracyIsland said:

That does not specifically say events one way or another.

OK - so looks like you both worked it out -- my suggestion does not help because the "etc." is not explicit one way or the other but your testing shows that events does not behave the same way as forums and is therefore not included in the "etc.".

13 minutes ago, TracyIsland said:

Where are these 'permissions?'

I guess that's a reference to what someone else said earlier? Basically, if you have access to the club then you will see that club's events in your normal calendars (outside of the club). Thus, if you have "open" clubs then all the events from those clubs will be visible to everyone who can access the clubs module (normally every group unless you did something funny like we did).

For clubs that you have to join then it will depend upon whether you joined that club... If you did not join then you don't have the permissions to see the events but if you did join then you have the permissions to see the events and they will both show up in the club and also in your out-of-club calendars.

Does that match what you're actually seeing?

John

@BN_IT_Support Thanks for the idea.  I did check by logging in as another member who has not joined any club.  The club event I created is still visible to that member, both on the club page and on the main event application page. 

1. This member has not joined any club.

2. All the clubs are open. 

So I'm not sure if the second criteria you stated works or not:

For clubs that you have to join then it will depend upon whether you joined that club... If you did not join then you don't have the permissions to see the events but if you did join then you have the permissions to see the events and they will both show up in the club and also in your out-of-club calendars.

4 minutes ago, TracyIsland said:

So I'm not sure if the second criteria you stated works or not:

If you have a club that you have to join but did not join it then you will not be able to see the events - anywhere. (That is, those events will NOT appear in your normal calendars.)

I'm sure that it works correctly in that respect - but in the very unlikely case that it does not work that way then it is a clear bug that needs to be fixed.

The issue being discussed was not about events that you don't have permission to see but about events that you do have permission to see (either in an open club or else in a club that you have already joined...). In this case, as you have permission to see the events they will always show up in your normal calendars with no option to control that in the same way as you can control visibility of club forums -- apparently, and according to your test results.

John

Just now, BN_IT_Support said:

If you have a club that you have to join but did not join it then you will not be able to see the events - anywhere. (That is, those events will NOT appear in your normal calendars.)

I'm sure that it works correctly in that respect - but in the very unlikely case that it does not work that way then it is a clear bug that needs to be fixed.

The issue being discussed was not about events that you don't have permission to see but about events that you do have permission to see (either in an open club or else in a club that you have already joined...). In this case, as you have permission to see the events they will always show up in your normal calendars with no option to control that in the same way as you can control visibility of club forums -- apparently, and according to your test results.

John

Okay, so what you have explained makes perfect sense.  Open and joined would see the events in both locations.  

I will submit a bug issue for this.  Of course, with my reputation, the support staff will immediately ask me to upgrade to the 4.7.17 from 4.7.16 and disable all plugins and applications before they are willing to check.  Maybe after I post the bug, could you try the issue yourself as a test and then give a 'happens to me too' for some support?

6 hours ago, BN_IT_Support said:

John

I guess when I was initially explaining, I didn't do a good job. The issue I have with the whole thing I guess is that I think clubs should really be self contained, because as it appears now, even guests, who have no ability to join a club, are able to see every event that is posted in an public or open club, on the community calendar. Depending on how you use clubs, if you have a large site, and let anyone create clubs, there could potentially be hundreds or thousands of clubs. If each of them is actively creating events, this would make a huge mess on the public community calendar. I guess I think of the Community Calendar as something for the "main site" to post events to, not for the entire site to appear on as well. Maybe if this is how it is designed, there can be an option to disable certain club types, such as public and open, so they will stay more contained.

13 minutes ago, ghinton said:

I guess when I was initially explaining, I didn't do a good job. The issue I have with the whole thing I guess is that I think clubs should really be self contained, because as it appears now, even guests, who have no ability to join a club, are able to see every event that is posted in an public or open club, on the community calendar. Depending on how you use clubs, if you have a large site, and let anyone create clubs, there could potentially be hundreds or thousands of clubs. If each of them is actively creating events, this would make a huge mess on the public community calendar. I guess I think of the Community Calendar as something for the "main site" to post events to, not for the entire site to appear on as well. Maybe if this is how it is designed, there can be an option to disable certain club types, such as public and open, so they will stay more contained.

Actually I think you did an excellent job at explaining and from what I can tell, these club events should only be visible on the main events page if you happen to be a member of that club.  So let's say we have 2,000 clubs and each club has 2 events.  If a given user is a member of only 3 clubs, then that person should only see 6 events in the main event page.  

There is an issue here, a bug but we have to have the developers confirm it.  

The issue here isnt a bug, but with understanding. If you can see an item in the club, then you will be able to see it elsewhere if you have it set to see alongside other content areas. Whether or not you can join the club isnt really relevant here. If you can see the items, then you will see them elsewhere, regardless of whether or not you can join the club. 

If you have an instance whereby a user cannot see the event (regardless of whether or not they have joined the club) in the club, and can see in the calendar, please let us have an example of this so we can take a look for you.

15 hours ago, TracyIsland said:

I will submit a bug issue for this.  Of course, with my reputation, the support staff will immediately ask me to upgrade to the 4.7.17 from 4.7.16 and disable all plugins and applications before they are willing to check. 

To clarify, this is the same for every single customer. This is nothing at all in any way related to reputation. We fix many bugs on every release, and see many issues related to 3rd party items on every release. We don't ask for much, just for you to ensure you have the latest bug fixes, and to test with no other code that may interfere with ours. 

Just now, Marc Stridgen said:

you will be able to see it elsewhere if you have it set to see alongside other content areas

This is where I am confused.  Isn't the setting in the ACP which both @ghinton and I have set as only within groups (clubs to you) mean that these events should NOT be visible in the main events application?

Could contain: Page, Text

2 minutes ago, TracyIsland said:

Isn't the setting in the ACP which both @ghinton and I have set as only within groups (clubs to you) mean that these events should NOT be visible in the main events application?

Yes. As mentioned, if that is not the case, please provide an example and I can take a look

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention! I can confirm this should be further reviewed and I have logged an internal bug report for our development team to investigate and address as necessary, in a future maintenance release.