Bulk move select users to a newly created subscription plan?

Hey, so perhaps a dumb question, but I'm setting up Subscriptions on my forum and it's been a super long while. Wanted to get clarification before I bork something and create issues.

I have a user group, called "premium" to allow access to a private section of our forum, as well as unlimited uploads. Over the years, we just gave those to people that contributed consistently, but now I'd like to create a paid subscription for it. I have several hundred members that either have this as a primary user group, as well as a bunch that have this as a secondary group. 

My question is how do I go about searching all my members (appx 183k) and anyone that has a primary or secondary group = "premium" gets reset as a normal member and then added to premium through subscriptions. I created a premium monthly subscription and a premium annual subscription. My goal is that they are all reset so that primary user group is "premium" and they are added to the "premium annual" subscription plan.

Anyhow, I searched the docs but am not quite clear on the solution.

Thanks in advance. 

You would want to utilize the Advanced Member Search tool in ACP -> Members -> Members -> in the search bar, click the "cogwheel" icon to open up the advanced search. You can then search by group and other details, if required. Once you perform your search and it renders users, there will be a blue bar which you can then use to move users to the group you want them to be in. 

Of course, before doing so, please ensure that you take a full backup of your environment in case any mistakes are made.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

you can then use to move users to the group

This will just move the users to another group. There will be no subscription for them, though.

15 hours ago, superaven said:

they are added to the "premium annual" subscription plan.

3 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

This will just move the users to another group. There will be no subscription for them, though.

There is no way to do that 😉 .

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

There is no way to do that 😉 .

Perhaps something to consider in the future?

Assume I can manually enter them one by one, so will try that way.

In any case, thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, superaven said:

Perhaps something to consider in the future?

You're more than welcome to post it up in our Feedback forum. However, realistically, this may be some form of customization migration offering than a built-in feature. Not often would you need move outside of that. I would just manually apply the subscription to users you want to give it for free or create a coupon code and email them it.

13 minutes ago, opentype said:

Wouldn’t the users have to voluntarily sign up for a paid subscription? 

If you are actually charging them by way of if they for some reason have a card on file, I think there is an ethical issue for sure.

If they don't have a card on file and no payment is taken without their consent, they would voluntarily opt into payment that way. The ethical issue would be stepped aside so long as you give them ample warning of what is going on and options to opt out.

For legal issues, I would check local laws with a lawyer. 

Don't think it really has any ethical or legal consequence. To your point, @Jim M, we aren't charging them anything. We're just migrating them over to a new group at no cost so we aren't running a legacy premium group and a new premium group built via subscriptions. I have no payment details for any of those users, so there would be no way for me to take payment, even down the road if the subscription expires.

Anyhow, there's probably a few hundred I'd need to manually add. Pain, but not a huge deal to add them one by one. I am sort of surprised that this isn't somehow included as function of mass managing users and groups though. I know it's something that is supposed to be set and forget, but I've found myself adjusting and fine tuning privileges, groups and forum permissions often enough that having flexible tools to do them in bulk is a huge help.