Want to Upgrade forum script from IP.Board 3.4.9 to the latest version!

Hello Team,

I want to upgrade the Forum Script from   IP.Board 3.4.9  to the latest version.

So please let me know the step by step instruction on how can i upgrade this script to the latest version.

Currently on the new PHP 8.0 version when i go to the URL i am getting the error please check the attached screenshot : 

Could contain: Page, Text, Chart, Plot

First, make sure your server supports the latest IPS version:

If your IPS account is current, you can go into your Client Area and download the latest release.  You will have to do a manual upgrade.  And always have a full backup prior to doing anything. Also, PHP 8 is not supported on the version you are currently on.  The current version does support PHP 8.1.

To upgrade such an old version you need to:

1. Switch to PHP 8.0 and check the requirements are all good. (Don't use 8.1 because it causes a few more upgrade errors compared to 8.0. The old upgrade steps were never written for 8.0/8.1 which didn't even exist at the time.)
  2. Manually upload the new 4.7 files to your server.
  3. Go to /admin/upgrade to start the upgrade process.

Before doing the upgrade, you also should uninstall any 3rd party applications/plugins that don't have any updated version for 4.x, if not a lot of extra tables/columns/settings (maybe even tasks) will remain in the database.

Considering how old the version is, doing a test upgrade in another location is usually a good idea, especially if you have lots of 3rd party modifications installed.

22 hours ago, teraßyte said:

To upgrade such an old version you need to:

1. Switch to PHP 8.0 and check the requirements are all good. (Don't use 8.1 because it causes a few more upgrade errors compared to 8.0. The old upgrade steps were never written for 8.0/8.1 which didn't even exist at the time.)
  2. Manually upload the new 4.7 files to your server.
  3. Go to /admin/upgrade to start the upgrade process.

Before doing the upgrade, you also should uninstall any 3rd party applications/plugins that don't have any updated version for 4.x, if not a lot of extra tables/columns/settings (maybe even tasks) will remain in the database.

Considering how old the version is, doing a test upgrade in another location is usually a good idea, especially if you have lots of 3rd party modifications installed.

I will do this but currently i have the file structure in old version which you can see in the Screenshot i have attached

and in the new version files and folders looks different so can i manually upload the files as it is and do the upgrade?

would it be done smoothly?

Could contain: Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

1 hour ago, FlorinP said:

I will do this but currently i have the file structure in old version which you can see in the Screenshot i have attached

and in the new version files and folders looks different so can i manually upload the files as it is and do the upgrade?

would it be done smoothly?

Could contain: Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

The instructions would be the same there. You upload and then run the upgrader

Posted (edited)

As Marc said, that's the correct place to upload the files inside the folder ips_xxxxx.

There are quite a lot of files that will be useless after the upgrade there, but you can worry about deleting them later. While I always suggest cleaning up the old files, you should confirm that the upgraded suite works as expected first.

Edited by teraßyte