Group Promotion Rule Doesn't Carry Out On 1st Save

Nakamura RTS
Go to solution Solved by Marc,

Hello,

When using group promotions to manage automated scaling group assignment, I found that when editing a profile field for a member doesn't immediately change the group as you save the user.

I have gotten this to work only if this user logs in, someone visits their profile, or another change/saving action is performed on their profile.

Since we are using external code to edit a profile field that tracks a users' donations, with this task running every 5 minutes, this is causing inconveniences, where a user may stop browsing within this time frame, and their profile would not be updated.

Testing this manually by editing this value reproduces the issue perfectly. If I simply make a second edit after saving, that is when the user actually gets the group. This should happen on the first edit.

We could of course code the group changes ourselves, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of having the group promotion system.

Any advice on the topic would be appreciated.

You mentioned external code. Could you please clarify what you are performing and how you are interacting with the system? Group promotions should be acted on save, however, how exactly you are doing this is information we're missing to further troubelshoot.

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

You mentioned external code. Could you please clarify what you are performing and how you are interacting with the system? Group promotions should be acted on save, however, how exactly you are doing this is information we're missing to further troubelshoot.

Thanks for getting back so quickly, Jim.

In this instance I believe our method doesn't matter, as I am able to reproduce the issue with the first save not working via a regular edit in the ACP UI.

Example Repro (Version 4.7.0):  

• Group promotion puts folk with over 1 in a profile field into Test Group 1.
  • Go to a member in the ACP, and enter 2 into their profile field, click save.
  • Notice that the member's group isn't instantly updated.
  • Visit user's public profile or edit and save another field in the ACP. This will cause the group update to happen.

• 2 months later...
  • Solution

Having looked into this, it would require substantial changes in order to implement this unfortunately. At present, if an admin is editing manually, they would need to make any changes to groups needed at that point in time. While this may be revisited in the future, this is not something likely to see change in the immediate future