Email sending limit

Ricsca

9 hours ago, Ricsca said:

@FZ How do you integrate ipb to MailGun?

You'll have to add their codes to your DNS for the domain name (after you create an account with them) and then just add their SMTP settings to your Invision mail settings. You may have to try a few different ports, but once you get it working it works well. 

Another excellent service that I used before MailGun was SparkPost, but then they kicked off all the free accounts and their threshold for entry level accounts was a bit too expensive. They did have the best delivery rates I have yet seen for bulk emails. I just looked at their web page again and it seems that they have been bought by somebody else now and they don't even have pricing on their website. Interesting...

2 hours ago, FZ said:

You'll have to add their codes to your DNS for the domain name (after you create an account with them) and then just add their SMTP settings to your Invision mail settings.

Just to mention: this would send all mails (notifications, PMs, register mails etc.) with third-party provider. SendGrid's integration has a setting to choose what should be sent with them:

screenshot-2022_03.10-07_19_29.png.65c21ded010a9682d23b54a2ac31f4f2.png

I wish I could use any 3rd-party to send out bulk mails only. The number of bulk mails is fully on my control. All other mails - not and can probably explode my cost.

49 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

Just to mention: this would send all mails (notifications, PMs, register mails etc.) with third-party provider. SendGrid's integration has a setting to choose what should be sent with them:

screenshot-2022_03.10-07_19_29.png.65c21ded010a9682d23b54a2ac31f4f2.png

I wish I could use any 3rd-party to send out bulk mails only. The number of bulk mails is fully on my control. All other mails - not and can probably explode my cost.

[removed incorrect info]

Sorry, I should mention that I set mine up on a subdomain of my main domain, e.g. mail.mydomain.com - this gives you the flexibility you need. 

Edited by FZ
I spoke rubbish! Sorry. :-)

15 hours ago, Ricsca said:

But if I send the emails in bulk through MailGun, the emails are automatically sent to all of my 55,000 users and so Google won't spam me?

Not sure what you mean, but it will only bulk mail your entire base if you tell it to. You do have the full segmentation filtering of member groups, date joined, last visit, etc to knock down the amount of emails you send via the bulk mail feature at any time. 

Google has nothing to do with this, thankfully. 

1 hour ago, Ricsca said:

by google I mean gmail.

how do you keep track of who has an active email?

I'm not an expert in this stuff, but if you get a bounce via MailGun they will show up in the logs. I suppose you could manually remove the bounces from your IPS database if you were so inclined. 

I'd suggest getting in touch with their sales people and asking questions. 

1 minute ago, Ricsca said:

When I send a mass email with the forum, is MailGun able to understand the inactive emails to which not to send further emails?

Thank you

No, it will require you to set your filters correctly when sending them the instruction to email. I don't know how you would do that, but in my case I got rid of all members who had not logged into the system for more than 3 years. You could also use a similar filter in the bulk mail tool without purging your old members, I suppose. 

14 hours ago, Ricsca said:

invisioncommunity should develop a system that monitors emails and moves the user to a new group called "to be validated" for example if the email sent comes back ...

I don't know how they would be able to do that short of integrating with the mail carrier's systems. 

5 minutes ago, FZ said:

I don't know how they would be able to do that short of integrating with the mail carrier's systems. 

It is possible. IPS can already read incoming mails. They use it for their Commerce Support, where the answers to the tickets are sent by mail and saved as tickets. The same way, they can explore the mail responses, if Mail Delivery Failure or ... then put the member to validation.