Index.php for pages when forums isn't the root folder?

Go to solution Solved by Mark H,

I just upgraded to the latest from 3.x, and I cannot find the information about the index.php file necessary to run Pages content from the root folder when the forum isn't the root folder.  The 3.x version doesn't work ( I tried on a hail mary after failing to find updated information )

I'm attempting to get the bare bones of my website back up while I rework all my content to be compatible with the new version of Invision, and this is the final stumbling block to that endeavor.  

I am assuming you are referring to 4.x and not 3.x here? There is no facility to run pages from root, unless you have the site itself at root. What you would do is then set pages as  the default application by visiting System>Site Features>Applications and selecting the star icon at the side of the pages application

You would not reinstall, you would just move it if you wish to use at root. So you would do the following

1. Move all files/folders to root
  2. Edit your conf_global.php file to the new URL
  3. Check your Storage Settings; the physical paths will have changed when you moved the forum to the root from a subdirectory.
  4. Change pages to your default application
  5. Reset your site URL from your client area

Of course, always take a full backup before such moves

39 minutes ago, Darkniciad said:

Okay, where else do I need to update paths in the ACP besides System->Advanced Configuration->Data Storage.

You will want to check your datastore and template cache paths in ACP -> System -> Advanced Configuration. Then ensure your attachment file storage configuration are properly updated in ACP -> System -> Files -> Storage Settings -> Configuration.

Please visit the ACP -> Support page. When it finishes loading, click the button on the right to clear the system cache. When it finishes reloading, navigate to the ACP main page.

Does that resolve the missing icons in the ACP? And does it also resolve the 500 error on the front end?

• Solution

The main page loads, but all friendly URL's are showing the error. This points to your .htaccess file being missing.

You'll need to visit the ACP -> Search Engine Optimization page and download the htaccess file that's linked there.

Then you need to upload that file to the root folder (assuming one is not already present; if one is already there, see below) and make sure it is named .htaccess (note the leading period).

If that file is already present, you need to edit it, and add the lines in the file you downloaded from the ACP, then save it.

Does that resolve those errors?

That's where the remaining path problem was.  Everything is working properly now.  It's been forever since I messed with anything in the suite because my hosting service didn't have the option for a supported version of PHP until recently.  I've forgotten where everything is, and most of it moved in 4.x anyway.

I'm at least back to zero now, with temporary static pages serving as placeholders for the links I have listed on other sites, while I go through the grueling process of recoding all my pages and blocks, which used a lot of 3.x functions/templates that are almost certainly defunct.

9 hours ago, Darkniciad said:

That's where the remaining path problem was.  Everything is working properly now.  It's been forever since I messed with anything in the suite because my hosting service didn't have the option for a supported version of PHP until recently.  I've forgotten where everything is, and most of it moved in 4.x anyway.

I'm at least back to zero now, with temporary static pages serving as placeholders for the links I have listed on other sites, while I go through the grueling process of recoding all my pages and blocks, which used a lot of 3.x functions/templates that are almost certainly defunct.

Glad to see you are where you need to be. 

Indeed those pages would need redoing. Ensure you take a look through our guides on pages before you begin. You may well find there are some things you dont need to code, and can just be added.