Jump to content

Search Engine Issues in Pages App


sadams101
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Recommended Posts

I've been meaning to write a post about this for years, but there is a real issue with the IPB search engine in the Pages App. It does not seem to be able to find, for example, an article headline when you cut and paste the actual article headline into the search.

For example, there is currently an article on my site called "Top Brands of Gluten-Free Canned Chili" and if I cut and paste that exactly and search for it, not matter how I run the search (using quotes or not), it will not find the article:
https://www.celiac.com/search/?q="Top Brands of Gluten-Free Canned Chili"&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

I can run the same search in the ACP in the articles area and it instantly finds that article. It does not matter which article you search for, if you put in the headline/title, the article cannot be found using the search engine, but if you do the same thing in the forum, it does find the correct forum, just not an article in the Pages app.

Another example of your search limitations was demonstrated today when I searched your forum for an error code "1C223/4" and it found lots of things with "4" in the results, and probably somewhere in the results was something to do with that error code, but I had to google it to find this thread:

Even putting quotes around the search did not work in your search "1C223/4":
https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?q="1C223/4"&quick=1

Edited by sadams101
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can tell you that I initially imported articles into your application, and your team helped me with that, and in that process we did have to increase the field size of the title to accommodate the titles in my old app. I am not sure if @Ioannis D also changed the character length in his app, or if doing that is related to this issue.

PS - I'm going from memory here, but I believe that original character length was 128, and I may have bumped it up to 256.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sadams101 said:

Great, it sounds like an easy fix, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. How would I give the permission necessary to make the search work correctly?

One of the categories above the category that holds that item has "Set custom permissions" set in its options. You need to select the dropdown at the side of that item and select permissions. The "permission to view" permission is missing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did look at each category, in the example I gave there is only one parent category, and the "Set custom permissions" was not enabled. The article is visible in its category, so I don't believe this is the issue.

Interestingly, if you search for the entire headline the article cannot be found "Top Brands of Gluten-Free Canned Chili", but if you search for part of it, for example "Canned Chili" it comes up first, so I do think there may be an issue somewhere, and perhaps caused by my expanding the number of characters in that field, but again, in this particular case the headline is well under 128 characters anyway, so I'm not even sure the field size change is the issue.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...