How do i put a featured image on FB

so when I make a topic on my forum, I share the URL to the Topic to my community's FB page. When I do that the Social Card on FB only shows the Favicon image I provided in the ADMIN CP. How do I put a diffrent feature image on the link that I shared on the FB page?. Instead of the Favicon showing up everytime, I want a image related to the topic to show up and be clickable.

Edited by Patrick Ewing

There are two possibilities. The first one using AdminCP:

1. Go to AdminCP -> System -> Site Promotion -> Search Engine Optimization
  2. Add Meta Tag on the tab Meta Tags
  3. Click on +Add
  4. Enter topic URL in Page Address
  5. Select Other for Meta Tag Name, type og:image in Meta Tag Name and the URL of the featured image in the Content
  6. Save (you probably have to refresh the facebook via https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/ to see the change before sharing)

Or use this plugin

@Sonya* Does the social media promotion option not work anymore? I was never able to set it up.

Also @Patrick Ewing with that plugin, it only uses images that we're attached to a post, not ones you may have posted directly in a post. 

"This plugin will use the first image uploaded as attachment in a topic and set it as as Open Graph image (“og:image”), so social media sites (Facebook, Twitter and more) can use it as thumbnail image to represent the link."

9 hours ago, SC36DC said:

Does the social media promotion option not work anymore? I was never able to set it up.

It should work. However I do not use it any more. The approval process from FB for the feature was a way to long and too complicated for me. 🙂 I do not share tons of posts in FB only some that can potentially bring users. I create my shares several times a week manually as described above.

28 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

It should work. However I do not use it any more. The approval process from FB for the feature was a way to long and too complicated for me.

I know what you mean, I spent some time trying to set it up and it just got too complicated so I gave up.

29 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

I do not share tons of posts in FB only some that can potentially bring users. I create my shares several times a week manually as described above.

Same here. I will try out the method you posted, thanks for sharing the guide. 👍