Improvements for The Reputation System

Kfir

I think that the reputation system is the most used system that is seeking for new improvements.
Here are my suggestions:
1. Show who repped the post (and which groups are allowed to view it).
2. Allow reputation bump per forum (like poll bump).
2. Allow sorting topics by number of topic's reputation.
4. Allow reputation in chosen forums.
5. Allow reputation in topics only.
6. Add a quick settings per group for who can rep.

You are welcome to add your suggestions. :)

7. Allow option to disallow reputation on per-topic level.
8. Show who have given all the rep, which posts and when, on the user profile for everyone to see(as an extension to #1).
8a. Allow users to set permissions on who can view their reputation information on their profile(this only applies for the display of who have given, which posts and dates). The reputation amount should still be set fixed visible.

Quite a few of those can be found in this:

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2308-ah30-reputation-102/

and this

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2888-sos30-view-reputation-points-v100/

While that's good and all.. it's better to have it integrated and upgraded by IPS instead in the original product.
Having lots of mods will complicate things.

Besides, those mods you listed only accomplished 1 of the points that were suggested in this topic and that was the ability to see who repped someone.
It did also have a quite good feature that was not suggested yet.

9. Ability to comment when you leave rep. Admins can require this, have it as optional, disable it, require/enable/disable it only when leaving negative rep, require/enable/disable it only when leaving positive rep, require/enable/disable it only in certain forums, etc.

9. Ability to comment when you leave rep. Admins can require this, have it as optional, disable it, require/enable/disable it only when leaving negative rep, require/enable/disable it only when leaving positive rep, require/enable/disable it only in certain forums, etc.

Thats in one of the mods I linked to.

Personally,
2,4,5,7 are useless in my mind.

IPS does not want to add tons of settings that will bloat/confuse/clutter the rep system.

Personally,

2,4,5,7 are useless in my mind.

IPS does not want to add tons of settings that will bloat/confuse/clutter the rep system.

Each person seeking for different features. For you it's useless, for others it's not. IPS is going with the majority.
They should make it as customizable as they can to fit most user's needs.

Wow umm yeah can we pretend this didn't happen? and can we pretend that I just didn't go manually edit my database to try to achieve that :o

Been there myself. Spent time working on a mod. Later found out that it was already a feature. Some things aren't where you'd expect them to be. :ph34r:

While that's good and all.. it's better to have it integrated and upgraded by IPS instead in the original product.

Having lots of mods will complicate things.

Besides, those mods you listed only accomplished 1 of the points that were suggested in this topic and that was the ability to see who repped someone.

It did also have a quite good feature that was not suggested yet.

You need to learn how to read mister :)

Some great suggestions in this thread, and I really hope they fix up the rep system for the next release.

10. In order to prevent abuse, they really need to make members spread the reputation around again before being allowed to give it to the same member again, or maybe even a time limit before being able to rep the same person again, or both. The current system is far to easy to abuse.

Some great suggestions in this thread, and I really hope they fix up the rep system for the next release.

10. In order to prevent abuse, they really need to make members spread the reputation around again before being allowed to give it to the same member again, or maybe even a time limit before being able to rep the same person again, or both. The current system is far to easy to abuse.

This is something I also think is neccessary!

And another thing:
11. Allow a setting for "Allow removal of reputation". If "Can give negative reputation" is set to NO, they will not be able to give negative reputation, only positive reputation. However once they've given their positive reputation they will be allowed to give negative reputation (so they can remove their positive reputation if they do not feel that the content deserves positive reputation anymore) if this setting ("Allow removal of reputation") is set to YES. If they have removed their positive reputation(so it's like it was before the user gave the positive reputation), they will not be able to give negative reputation like before - only positive.

Archived