AJAX powered quick-reply?

Dr. Awesome

[quote name='Jυra' post='1768228' date='Oct 29 2008, 08:18 PM']Now that I have video BBcode on the forums I can see the use. Maybe others will since media BBcodes will come with IPB soon.

If the problem is losing your place in a video, wouldn't watching it all the way through before commenting be more logical than commenting half way through? And wouldn't that get more quality replies?

[quote name='Jυra' post='1768339' date='Oct 30 2008, 06:21 AM']Someone may be watching a second time or already saw enough.

I don't get why it's so hard to look at the elapsed time on the vid, remember it, and find where you were again, I was watching anime on YouTube all day today and restarted some of the vids a couple times, but when I did it I remembered the point where I was, it's really not that hard.

Is an obsession with videos really so important it's worth breaking the back function? Dumb question, I know. :lol: :P

[quote name='Stepashka' post='1768191' date='Oct 29 2008, 04:02 PM']Well… I guess no matter what and how many people want it, you won’t do it.
For me personally, it’s a very useful future. Also I don’t believe it’s sO hard to do it… no body ask for “special effects”

And editing the post is 'one of them'? You can also edit the post without “ajex”!
I hope you will understand the benefit of this future…

Time will come and you will include it anyway )

Just because you would like it doesn't mean everyone does.

In my opinion, AJAX is fantastic when it is done right. Not only is it good aesthetically, it has useful practical applications (such as the aforementioned video scenario). Unfortunately, it is rarely done right when there is a lot of information to process. There are so many different browsers which handle it slightly differently, it's a nightmare to code, confusing for the user when it doesn't work (but most likely submitted the content, just not returned it) and often done for little more than the sake of it.
Even sometimes when I post a comment on YouTube, the submit button greys out and gets stuck on "Posting..." (or whatever it says) - then if I reload, sometimes its there, sometimes its not, maybe that's because the person posting the video has comment moderation enabled? Who knows? Not the user ;)

• 8 months later...

I guess I am selfish, but page views == greater advertising monetization of your site. Logical (but not needless) page views such as when a user submits a new post or changes pages (xx posts per thread) result in an opportunity to monetize your site. The online advertising industry does not have a good way to deal with ajax actions (like a page reload) right now, there for excessive AJAX can reduce (without cause) the monetization of your site.

[quote name='Speed Racer' date='10 July 2009 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1247260582' post='1824057']
I guess I am selfish, but page views == greater advertising monetization of your site. Logical (but not needless) page views such as when a user submits a new post or changes pages (xx posts per thread) result in an opportunity to monetize your site. The online advertising industry does not have a good way to deal with ajax actions (like a page reload) right now, there for excessive AJAX can reduce (without cause) the monetization of your site.

You're kidding, right? Do you think search engines will rank you based on IP.Board's stored topic view count? A search engine relying on that will never exist, since that data can easily be tampered with. I am not sure what your source is for your statements, but none of that is true. :thumbsup:

[quote name='InSaNeX' date='10 July 2009 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1247264828' post='1824088']
You're kidding, right? Do you think search engines will rank you based on IP.Board's stored topic view count? A search engine relying on that will never exist, since that data can easily be tampered with. I am not sure what your source is for your statements, but none of that is true. :thumbsup:

reloaded page = ads reload and register additional page view = additional revenue for pay-per-view ads.

It has absolutely nothing to do with topic view count statistics.

In my experience forums are horrible for generating ad revenue in the first place, but to each his own I suppose.

[quote name='Zero5854' date='10 July 2009 - 11:46 PM' timestamp='1247266009' post='1824094']
I think this is cool BUT a bit slow?? sorry no sale from me.

The transition is slow? You are probably on Firefox. Firefox is not as smooth as the others. Safari is the smoothest, then comes Chrome, then IE, and Firefox is a little choppy. In my experience I believe there is nothing that can be done because that is how Firefox is built.

Testing with Firefox on Mac I have almost no lag, but on Windows it looks a bit choppy as you described.

If you want you can change the reveal effect in the Admin CP from Effect.BlindDown to one of the other effects that will not lag in any browser.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived