Upgrade path from a very old version?

Go to solution Solved by Nathan Explosion,

Hello

I have inherited an old hosted version of Invision - 4.2.6

I'm trying to upgrade to the latest version.

The problem I have is that the site/upgrade tool won't run on a version of php higher than 7.4, but the upgrade process won't run on a version lower than 8.0. It's trivial for me to switch versions of PHP but I can't proceed on the upgrade tool with either version

Is my only option to start with a fresh copy of the files and try and migrate content?

• Solution
  1. Ensure site working as-is on 7.4
  2. Disable any non-IPS plugins/applications that you may have installed
  3. Turn site offline via ACP
  4. Switch PHP version to 8.0 or 8.1 - site will stop working
  5. Run this https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7046-invision-community-requirements-checker/ and fix any issues
  6. Download update from client area, upload it to your site via FTP
  7. Go to /admin/upgrade manually

Posted (edited)

Thank you for this. I got as far as step 7 fairly smoothly.

However, it is now telling me that I don't have all the updated versions of the files in the /applications/convert/ directory. Sure enough, the zip file I have downloaded from the client area does not even contain this directory. Could I have downloaded from the wrong place? (Client Area > Manage this purchase > Download Invision Community) ?

Edited by soap_box

Thanks again for your help, it went mostly smoothly from there. The only issue I ran into was this:

Out of range value for column 'achievements_points' at row 1222 /var/www/mysite.com/public_html/applications/core/setup/upg_106100/upgrade.php::351

UPDATE core_members core_members SET achievements_points=member_posts

Not sure why it would be out of range as the highest member_posts value was only ~40k

I had to comment out this line to proceed in the end, and will maybe deal with setting achievements_points later if it's necessary

• 2 weeks later...

When I followed these steps in a test, everything went fairly smoothly in the end. However now I've come to do it for real, and I'm hitting this error when I go to the ugprade path:

Too few arguments to function IPS\Theme\theme_forms_core_setup_login(), 1 passed in /var/www/(...)/public_html/system/Theme/Dev/Template.php on line 171 and exactly 2 expected 

The only difference I can think of between the two attempts is that 1) this time the forum was switched off before I started and 2) perhaps last time I was already logged in before I changed from php 7.4 to 8.1 and this time I wasn't

Posted (edited)

I'm on php 8.1, a fresh copy of the old files, with the zip file contents uploaded (with "include converters" checked) and the permissions for `/datastore` set to writeable. Also checked the ips4 file to confirm all green ticks. (Tried to put this in an edit but, short timer!)

Edited by soap_box

Sorry, resolved this, the issue that I forgot I changed during the test, was that I have a custom admin URL defined in constants.php and a custom admin folder. Renamed my folder back before I started, overwrote it, and commented out the definition.