Profile Cover photos. How many kb?

kar3n2

sizes.thumb.jpg.510f304122d96b46a160a93fHi  ( dummy here again sorry)

When setting up the allow cover photos for profiles it asks me for maximum photo cover size in KB.

I want my members cover images no more than 1014 pixels wide so as not to break the site.  How does the pixels size translate into kb?

It doesn't translate, Karen - they're different things and not tied together :)

You could afford to pick an arbitrary number, really. No-one needs to have one approaching 1mb. The loss of quality which would result from reducing the file size wouldn't be great. I reckon you'd be perfectly fine with limiting the size to, say, 400kb. I've just set up a page today with some photos of reasonable size and quality and not one of them was over 250kb.

14 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

It doesn't translate, Karen - they're different things and not tied together :)

You could afford to pick an arbitrary number, really. No-one needs to have one approaching 1mb. The loss of quality which would result from reducing the file size wouldn't be great. I reckon you'd be perfectly fine with limiting the size to, say, 400kb. I've just set up a page today with some photos of reasonable size and quality and not one of them was over 250kb.

ah right. My web host just suggested 50kb and in the forum that I use to explain "how to do things", best to explain if they are having problems go over to a site to reduce the file size or "optimize" the file.   It's all more hard work for them to do really though isn't it?

• 1 year later...

I'm having a related problem to this where the images are just being displayed at full size rather than being reduced to fit.  For example my Facebook cover photo which looks fine there is oversized and of poor quality on the forum.  Is there a setting for this somewhere?

No, there isn't a setting. This is behaving as it's supposed to. Facebook has fixed dimensions, whereas the size of cover photo here changes as the window does. A Facebook cover usually won't work well here because it's smaller than most desktop screens will be, so you're going to lose quality as the smaller image is stretched.

Archived