An alternative to the removed features

XiuzSu

Since we all known IPB will not under any circumstances add the features asked by a small group of customers back to IPB 3.2
I've come up with a solution that seems to be quiet fair for both parties.

I think IPB should have a skilled member(s) who is/are willing to continue/make the hooks/apps that will add features to IPB such as the ones that where removed in 3.2. Perhaps making a new group for these members would be ideal. This way we know we can rely on these hooks because they will be kept up-to-date, will not have security issues, and that its creator will not just "disappear". In the case one of the members decide to leave you can always add new volunteers that meet a certain list of requirement and skill level.

These hooks/apps could also be added to IPB's Extras.

This way IPB can keep their core forum clean without the extra load and without the need of adding the (enable/disable) options that seem to be such a problem. Also they aren't putting the load of working on these hooks/apps on their staff either so from my point of view this seems ideal.

People are already creating these hooks; several are already available. Why does there need to be a special setup for that to happen?

You shouldn't be so concerned about the ability of normal people to create and maintain quality modifications.

People are already creating these hooks; several are already available. Why does there need to be a special setup for that to happen?

You shouldn't be so concerned about the ability for normal people to create and maintain quality modifications.

This way we know we can rely on these hooks because they will be kept up-to-date, will not have security issues, and that its creator will not just "disappear". In the case one of the members decide to leave you can always add new volunteers that meet a certain list of requirement and skill level.

No faith.

Its not that I don't have faith (or maybe it is) but I like to play it on the safe side and I'm sure most of us do too (which is why we would of liked IPB to do it instead) but I guess this would work out just as good. I guess this is just a guarantee that I won't have to wait until someone feels like updating their apps before I can update my forum.

I think this is a way to keep everyone happy.
-IPB won't have to have these apps in the forum by default (also there will be no need for the option to enable/disable it either).
-IPB staff won't be side track keep this up-to-date.
-People will have to choice whether to get them (20%-25%) or to not get them (75%-80%) or to mix it up a little (insertrandompercentagehere%), everyone should be pleased.
-They will be up-to-date and without security issues.
-Renewing licenses will be done pretty much by everyone.

If a feature is needed, someone will create the resource necessary for it to be added, whether it's a new idea or something that used to be in the product and isn't anymore. There's no need to make some special arrangement to ensure this happens.

IMO the problem is that if one person makes a certain hook or app then for some reason no one else wants to make it even if that person happens to disappear for a year or two. If people could take other peoples work and update them without their permission then it'd be nice.

If a feature is needed, someone will create the resource necessary for it to be added, whether it's a new idea or something that used to be in the product and isn't anymore. There's no need to make some special arrangement to ensure this happens.

Its not to ensure it happens, its to ensure its up-to-date, and bug-less.

Since we all known Blizzard will not under any circumstances add the features asked by a small group of players back to WOW 4.2 when Firelands is released

I think Blizzard should have a skilled developer(s) who is/are willing to continue/make the addons that will add features to WOW such as the ones that where removed in 3.0 Perhaps making a new group for these members would be ideal. This way we know we can rely on these addons because they will be kept up-to-date, will not have security issues, and that its creator will not just "disappear". In the case one of the players decide to leave you can always add new volunteers that meet a certain list of requirement and skill level.

These addons could also be added to Blizzard's Extras.

This way Blizzard can keep their core game clean without the extra load and without the need of adding the (enable/disable) options that seem to be such a problem. Also they aren't putting the load of working on these addons on their staff either so from my point of view this seems ideal.

/couldnotresist

Since we all known Blizzard will not under any circumstances add the features asked by a small group of players back to WOW 4.2 when Firelands is released

I think Blizzard should have a skilled developer(s) who is/are willing to continue/make the addons that will add features to WOW such as the ones that where removed in 3.0 Perhaps making a new group for these members would be ideal. This way we know we can rely on these addons because they will be kept up-to-date, will not have security issues, and that its creator will not just "disappear". In the case one of the players decide to leave you can always add new volunteers that meet a certain list of requirement and skill level.

This way Blizzard can keep their core game clean without the extra load and without the need of adding the (enable/disable) options that seem to be such a problem. Also they aren't putting the load of working on these addons on their staff either so from my point of view this seems ideal.

/couldnotresist

-Adds to ignore list-

post-148073-0-24536800-1308269283_thumb.

/Couldnotresist

/couldnotresist

....dude, why are you talking about Blizzard and WOW? Don't derail the thread please.

....dude, why are you talking about Blizzard and WOW? Don't derail the thread please.

He was parodying the opening post in an attempt to demonstrate how absurd the request would be considered in any other context.

Apparently it didn't quite work.

The facepalm is strong here

Unable to grab the concept of sarcasm...sad keanu is sad.
and for the OP, I am shaking in my boots that a 2 year old customer with 65 posts is putting me on ignore. I guess some people can not handle criticism especially when the only thing they seem to do is complain.

So let me see if I'm understanding this. You're asking IPS to create a group on this site and add members to it whose job will be to write hooks for any removed features, and have those hooks be labeled as "IPB Extras". IPS then has to ensure this group is fully staffed with people, but not necessarily pay them, but they'll be required to produce material for this new category. If people do disappear from this group, IPS has to find new people to continue their efforts. Does this sum it up?

Let me put forth an alternative solution. If there's a feature that IPS removes that you really want to keep, put in a mod request for it, or hire a modder to create it for you. And let IPS focus on their core product rather than ensure features they don't feel are necessary are now being maintained by unpaid volunteers.

I'm sorry, I just don't see the merit in your suggestion. The software is evolving based on the needs of the many, some stuff will get discarded in that process. If it's important to you to keep some of those features, you have access to resources that let you request the addition of them, just like you've always had to request brand new ones never before in the product: as new modifications.

Archived