Quicksearch for member's content

Tanax

I think when browsing a certain forum it should be possible to quick search for a member's content in that forum.
Like just now I was in IP.Board (this current forum) and I wanted to quickly get my topics because I wanted to check something. I tried searching in the quick search for Tanax, but nothing came up because it most likely searches the topic titles and topic posts for any occurances of "Tanax". What I had to do was to go to my profile, click "Find content", and even then I couldn't limit the search to a specific forum. That didn't matter much in this case tho since almost all topics I've created has been here but I would imagine that it does matter to others.

Wouldn't it be logical to be able to quickly find a members' content in a specific forum by searching the username?
Like if I'm in IP.Board forum here (again, this current forum) I just search for Tanax and I'll find all topics and posts created by me in this forum. From that search I'll be able to filter it like I can currently when I'm searching for all my content by "Both topics and posts", "Only topics", "Only posts".

And while we're on quick search, it'd be great if this feature worked when being in forum that has subforums. What you can do then is to let the user get a choice like "This forum and all subforums", "Only this forum", "Only this forum and <inputs for several subforums>", "Only <inputs for several subforums>".

This could work on the main index aswell, quick searching would search all forums.

Basically, just a quick way of finding a members' content.

Yes, I'm aware of that but what I was talking about was to be able to use the quick search in the navbar and select like "Content in this forum by"(just an example) from the dropdown and be able to quickly search for a member's content in the current forum.

I can only think of one single time where I've searched what a user's posted in a certain forum, so I really don't see a point to adding a quicker way to do it. Few people would use it and it would just end up cluttering things up.

I don't see how providing a quicker and easier way to search for something is cluttering things up.
Just because you only searched it 1 time doesn't mean that no one else will find use in it.

I feel like I shouldn't even have to explain this as it's such a basic feature that I'm surprised it's not been added yet.
When being in a forum, say this forum IP.Board, being able to search a username in the quick search and select "Find content by"(or something) and immidiately get all the content that the searched user has done in that forum, wheather it's single posts or topics created by the user doesn't matter. Instead of that, we now have to either 1) search members to find the specific member, go to his profile and click find content although this option won't give you the possibility to filter that content to a specific forum, either 2) go into advanced search mode, type in the username into the find content by author, then select the forum you want to limit the search in. That would be the same forum where you just were.. you tell me it's not easier to just be able to search for member's content when you're in a forum and search the CURRENT forum directly and that it makes things cluttered.

I personally don't think it needs to be in the quick search bar either. If we start adding every search possibility to that menu it does end up getting cluttered and hard to use. For advanced searching operations I think you should go to the advanced search page.

So when I'm in IP.Board and want to find all content by a specific member, you think it's better to have to go to advanced search and then type in the member and then select the forum you just were in and then click search to get all content is better? That's just stupid. No offense.

Maybe the navbar search is a bad location, but I do think it's neccessary to provide an easier way to search for member content when you're already inside a forum than having to go to the advanced search. Perhaps another link beside "Mark this forum as read" which would dropdown a box. The link could say something like "Find content by", and the dropdown box would display an input box where I can input the membername and then hit the button "search" or "find" or whatever you choose to call it.

That'd make it a lot easier and faster.

Quick search features are intended to be used to quickly search things. Once you start adding filtering or sorting options, it's no longer a quick search feature.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that advanced searching capabilities (such as filtering results within a single forum by a particular user) should be left to the advanced search form.

Archived