"Max posts per day" moderation option

Luke

I would like to see an added feature to the warning panel for moderators to restrict how many posts a particular member can make in a day.

With the existing features it's for restricting members who are outright abusive, and you need to stop them from posting or see what they post before it's made public.

With this feature it would be for restricting users who post just for the sake of posting and add no real value to a topic. These users post for the post count or reputation. They don't realize that it's not about quantity but it's about quality. If there was a way to restrict how many posts per day they can make, either for a period of time or forever, they would have to make every post count and actually be helpful, or contribute in areas in which they actually have expertise.

While this may be useful for some, I don't really agree with the logic.

With this feature it would be for restricting users who post just for the sake of posting and add no real value to a topic.

If there was a way to restrict how many posts per day they can make, either for a period of time or forever, they would have to make every post count and actually be helpful, or contribute in areas in which they actually have expertise.

Do you think just because they're limited they'll still realize that it's all about quality? It seems like these users just aren't going to start being productive now that their posts are limited... (certainly they don't "have to make every post count and actually be helpful"). :rolleyes:

If you just want to approve their posts beforehand, you could always just require a "Moderator Preview of Posts". :huh:

Do you think just because they're limited they'll still realize that it's all about quality? It seems like these users just aren't going to start being productive now that their posts are limited... (certainly they don't "have to make every post count and actually be helpful"). :rolleyes:

Actually it makes sense. Once they've learned their limit for the day and come across other posts they wish they could respond to, they'll start using their posting privilege more sparingly so that they can reply to other posts that they REALLY want to reply to, instead of replying to just about every post ever made. Could also be an invaluable tool for their learning the benefit of using multi-quote or at least putting a few replies into one. Something that always catches my eye is seeing the same person posting twice in a row in the same topic. I know that sometimes it can't be helped, but there are times when they could have read all posts before responding at all, or could have edited a post to add more content.

If nothing else, it'll become like a game to them. They get so many turns per 24 hour period, so they need to make each move count instead of wasting moves.

Actually it makes sense. Once they've learned their limit for the day and come across other posts they wish they could respond to, they'll start using their posting privilege more sparingly so that they can reply to other posts that they REALLY want to reply to, instead of replying to just about every post ever made. Could also be an invaluable tool for their learning the benefit of using multi-quote or at least putting a few replies into one. Something that always catches my eye is seeing the same person posting twice in a row in the same topic. I know that sometimes it can't be helped, but there are times when they could have read all posts before responding at all, or could have edited a post to add more content.

If nothing else, it'll become like a game to them. They get so many turns per 24 hour period, so they need to make each move count instead of wasting moves.

It sounds nice in theory. :whistle:

It's something that's been used in the past though by other message boards providers, e.g. ezBoards (are they even around still?).

When I used ezBoards, that exact feature came in very handy for me with a load of kids who actually made a lot more sense in their posts, when they thought about what they could contribute by limiting their posts temporarily as a short-term punishment. But that was years ago, and as my board has become bigger I'm less tolerant of morons and would just get the suspension stick out instead.

Well if the person doesn't learn from the experience, they can have it on indefinitely. If someone made 50+ posts in a day and most of these posts were worthless and you limited them to 5 posts per day, the annoyance factor would be 1/10. I find that with members like this, they like to post in every topic on the forum and add no real value to the topic. Many other members start to get irritated by this. If someone doing this was limited, they'd have to make every post count. And if they didn't learn from this, then it's 5 annoying posts rather than 50.

I feel it's more effective in situations like this. With someone who posts something completely offensive, by all means ban their posting. But when someone is just annoying you really can't ban them. I mean... you could, but I'd rather teach them a lesson rather than shove them out the door.

Archived