members need to be verified before being able to view certain forum topics

Could any one help me I am trying to make my forum private so for guests I have an area where they can post there reasons for joining but thats all they can see after giving interest on why they would like to join once they register I would still like to restrict what they see until approved by the admin or moderators. Is there a way I can do this? Hope that makes sense. 

I have played around with permissions all I seem to be able to do is hide content from guests but once they are a member they can see everything?

Thanks

Sean

@sean182011 not sure if I understand correctly. Yes you can achieve that with permissions but you'll also need to approve all registrations manually.

You can select that under Settings > Login & Registration

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

So, they won't become a member until you approve their accounts.

But is it that what you want to achieve? Basically nobody becoming a member until manually approved? Or even after being approved, still not being able to see more than a guest? I still don't have that quite clear after reading your post.

For the latter, the most practical solution would be giving your default member group (generally group #3) limited permissions. So, when they move from "guests" to "members" they only see what you want them to see, and only after that they begin moving to other usergroups with more permissions, either manually by you moving one by one or by promotion rules (which is generally a better way). Mind you, this solution is better applied when you are creating your site, so from the beginning the member group (which you can give any name really) serves that purpose. The way around if your forum already exists and you have members already would be, before implementing the above, to mass move all your members to a higher usergroup. You start by copying the "members" group and then moving members to the newly created group that you can call whatever you want too.

Anyway, if I misunderstood, please let me know.

The only way in which you are going to be able to do this would be to move them into another group yourself, if its something you are manually approving. So you flow would be

1. Guest - Cant see anything
  2. Registered - Can see the 1 forum and post
  3. New group - You move them to this group once you are happy with them, which can see everything

There isnt a way in which you are going to be able to automate more than this

On 3/25/2024 at 12:58 AM, PPlanet said:

@sean182011 not sure if I understand correctly. Yes you can achieve that with permissions but you'll also need to approve all registrations manually.

You can select that under Settings > Login & Registration

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

So, they won't become a member until you approve their accounts.

But is it that what you want to achieve? Basically nobody becoming a member until manually approved? Or even after being approved, still not being able to see more than a guest? I still don't have that quite clear after reading your post.

For the latter, the most practical solution would be giving your default member group (generally group #3) limited permissions. So, when they move from "guests" to "members" they only see what you want them to see, and only after that they begin moving to other usergroups with more permissions, either manually by you moving one by one or by promotion rules (which is generally a better way). Mind you, this solution is better applied when you are creating your site, so from the beginning the member group (which you can give any name really) serves that purpose. The way around if your forum already exists and you have members already would be, before implementing the above, to mass move all your members to a higher usergroup. You start by copying the "members" group and then moving members to the newly created group that you can call whatever you want too.

Anyway, if I misunderstood, please let me know.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond, so yes I wanted most of the forum private but guests have a section where they can post and explain why they would like to be a member then once account is made I have to approve manually. Doing as you said has solved this by selecting validate all new accounts by email and admin verification. Everything all working fine now so thanks for your input!

Sean

On 3/25/2024 at 8:50 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

The only way in which you are going to be able to do this would be to move them into another group yourself, if its something you are manually approving. So you flow would be

1. Guest - Cant see anything
  2. Registered - Can see the 1 forum and post
  3. New group - You move them to this group once you are happy with them, which can see everything

There isnt a way in which you are going to be able to automate more than this

Yes got it sorted by doing as pplanet explained just by selecting new members be verified by admin 🙂