Our Picks: Do Not Delete Older Entries of Re-Promoted Content

Dreadknux

I'm interested in leaning more heavily on the Our Picks (or the new 'Featured' function as it will be rebranded in V5) once Invision Community V5 comes out, and want to explore ways I can adapt that into a new homepage that covers all nodes/apps across my community. One weird quirk I've noticed with Our Picks, in its current state, is that it only keeps one entry for a promoted piece of content - meaning that if the same piece of content is re-promoted, the older Our Picks entry is deleted and 'replaced' with the new entry.

An example:

• I promote a topic "Test" to Our Picks, give it an image, title it something like "Check out this test". It gets added to Our Picks as normal.
  • Over the next three days, I promote a few other things - a calendar event, Page entry, that sort of thing (not important, just mentioning it for context)
  • Four days later, I re-promote the "Test" topic again, with a different image and a different title, "A new development"
  • Checking Our Picks page, and scrolling through, the new promotion ("A new development") sits at the top of the list (as expected), but the older promotion four days earlier ("Check out this test") no longer exists (which is not expected).

Can we change this for V5 so that all promotions of the same content are visible and posted to Our Picks / Featured unless those older entries are specifically deleted by the mod/admin? Or at least offer an option on AdminCP to prevent deletion of older promoted entries of the same content? I'd like to maintain a history/archive of promoted content/works across my community, and I don't want older entries to be replaced when I re-promote content - I'd like to keep it all.

16 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

I'm interested in leaning more heavily on the Our Picks (or the new 'Featured' function as it will be rebranded in V5) once Invision Community V5 comes out, and want to explore ways I can adapt that into a new homepage that covers all nodes/apps across my community.

Slightly offtopic, but I wanted to share that I did do exactly what you want to do for several years: turn Our Picks into a homepage. My members loved it!  It's a beautiful and media-rich method of surfacing content from across the community. It especially works well if your items come with a cover image, or if you take the time to upload a cover image per promoted item.  

It's a pain to keep up since you have to keep manually promoting, but you can set an auto-scheduler to promote at certain times of the day.   It's a very nice way of highlighting content in one unified stream, and promoted content is also integrated into email and other widgets.  (In fact, Our Picks promotion is much more useful and robust than the legacy Featured, which doesn't do a lot v4.  It's probably why these two are combined in v5)

In regards to your feedback, ne workaround that I've done (but I never considered this to be a major pain point to begin with) is to promote a reply or a comment instead of the main content item. For example, if there was an ongoing announcement about the Holidays, instead of repromoting the Topic, I would promote a post within the topic, which would be counted as a separate content item for Our Picks.

Edited by Joel R

11 hours ago, Joel R said:

but you can set an auto-scheduler to promote at certain times of the day.

I was not aware of this, thank you!

11 hours ago, Joel R said:

In regards to your feedback, ne workaround that I've done (but I never considered this to be a major pain point to begin with) is to promote a reply or a comment instead of the main content item. For example, if there was an ongoing announcement about the Holidays, instead of repromoting the Topic, I would promote a post within the topic, which would be counted as a separate content item for Our Picks.

That would be useful for a topic node. My concern would be for things like Pages records and things where you can only re-promote the core/original post. For instance, I might make a 'news article' in Pages CMS that promotes an on-site/community contest, and I'd need to re-promote whenever there were updates to that contest. It wouldn't make sense to promote a comment or reply from that Page record. But, until V5 comes out (and perhaps this suggestion could be implemented) this would be a generally decent workaround for topics etc. Thank you for your thoughts! 🙂