Enhancement to add inclusion vs exclusion options to Spam Prevention >> Geolocation

Clover13

For those of us running country targeted sites, it would be great to have an option to effectively block all other countries.  For example, my site is US based, and I only want US based geo-located IPs to be able to register.  Right now I believe I have to manually add every other country to achieve this effect.

That's not spam prevention though is it? It sounds like the sort of thing you'd use a firewall for. Plus, with VPN's and the fact people travel a lot, do you really want to block someone just for not being in the country you may expect them to be in?

Edited by Dll

50 minutes ago, Dll said:

That's not spam prevention though is it? It sounds like the sort of thing you'd use a firewall for. Plus, with VPN's and the fact people travel a lot, do you really want to block someone just for not being in the country you may expect them to be in?

This is for registration only.  And really with the objective of non-US accounts (who are not the primary audience) from registering to spam our site.  We very rarely see a non-US person register to post anything meaningful.  In recent months, we have been attacked a number of times by large numbers of sudden bulk registrations and spam posts, so we're just trying to prevent that.  Our only workaround to this has been to put registrations in admin approval for all, which adversely effects engagement from first time users registering with the purpose of posting/replying to something in that moment and can't because they have to wait.  Subsequently, they sometimes simply don't want to wait and never return to post that valued content.

5 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

Something you could do for now if you have access to a WAF is to block non US countries from accessing domain.com/register.  That would deny them access to the signup form. 

Good idea!  I can add a rule via CF for this, even on the free plan 👍

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends