PHP-GD errors after updating to php 7.4 or 8.0

www.sgo.es
Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hello,

today I have updated our forums site to v4.6.10 after the update completed and everything was working properly I had a look at one warning that was recommending me to update to php 7.4 or newer for future releases. 

The problem is when I update to that version, as I soon as I do that the php-gd extension stops working despite being installed same version and specifically telling php to activate it in both php.ini and php.d/20-gd.ini. Whatever I do I never get it to be started when I restart the httpd service. It never shows in phpinfo or php -m.

Same thing is happening with php v8. I'm in centos 7.4 using the remi repos.

As a consequence of that extension not being loaded I get this error message and can't browse the forums properly:

Error: Call to undefined function IPS\Image\gd_info() (0)
#0 /var/www/html/forums/system/Image/Image.php(481): IPS\Image\_Gd::supportedExtensions()
#1 /var/www/html/forums/system/File/File.php(298): IPS\_Image::supportedExtensions()
#2 /var/www/html/forums/system/Theme/Theme.php(5354): IPS\_File::create('core_Theme', '2df94b840fb2451...', ' [data-role="su...', 'css_built_0', false, NULL, false)
#3 /var/www/html/forums/system/Theme/Theme.php(2543): IPS\_Theme::writeCss(Array)
#4 /var/www/html/forums/system/Theme/Theme.php(621): IPS\_Theme->compileCss('core', 'admin', 'support', 'dashboard.css')
#5 /var/www/html/forums/applications/core/modules/admin/support/support.php(65): IPS\_Theme->css('support/dashboa...', 'core', 'admin')
#6 /var/www/html/forums/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(101): IPS\core\modules\admin\support\_support->manage()
#7 /var/www/html/forums/applications/core/modules/admin/support/support.php(48): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#8 /var/www/html/forums/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\core\modules\admin\support\_support->execute()
#9 /var/www/html/forums/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#10 {main}

As soon as I downgrade back to 7.3 the error dissapear, the extension loads and everything go back to work as expected.

I'm ok with staying in php7.3 for now but I understand invision will stop supporting it at some point so I'll be forced to update and will face the same issue when I do. So I think it'll be better to try to find a solution before that happens

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Regards

• Solution

This would likely indicate that your PHP 7.4 is having issues with GD or it is not properly installed on it. It may be that you have multiple versions of PHP on your server and need to ensure you are using the correct one in your Invision Community installation directory. You can use the following file to check your server's compatibility:  https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7046-invision-community-requirements-checker/

If you continue to have issues, please contact your hosting provider or server administrator for further assistance.

When you install a new version of PHP, it's helpful to also reinstall all of the associated modules.  I generally just make it easy for myself and use something like:

sudo yum install php php-{pear,cgi,common,curl,mbstring,gd,mysqlnd,gettext,bcmath,json,xml,fpm,intl,zip,imap,gmp,redis} -y

(Note: I'm using a vanilla OS without a control panel on an Amazon Linux 2 instance which is like Fedora or Centos)  The exact steps would vary depending on your OS, any control panel you use, etc)

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, www.sgo.es said:

Hello guys, thanks for your answers.

I'll prepare a clone of the forums server and give it another try following your advice.

In a couple days I'll report back how it went.

Regards

Carlos Gómez

No problem at all, and hope you get to the bottom of the issue