Flesh out the can_view_others setting for forums

grinler

Would it be possible to flesh out the can_view_others = 0 forum settings so that it is fully functional. As it stands right now the feature feels like it was thrown together quickly, but never quite completed.

For example, the following features would be useful if not just make sense to have them:

• Moderators of these forums should get new topic and new topic reply notifications. Currently they do not.
  • Pinned topics should be seen by everyone who visits the forum.
  • Topics should be visible in searches, view new content, and my content for those who are moderators of that forum

Adding the above to can_view_others = 0 forums would really make this feature more useful.

Thanks

So you want topics to be seen by everyone when you specifically told the forum to only show them their own topics?

I guess it just sounds a little backwards and I don't think it will please everyone. What if I wanted pinned topics *as they are now* to only be seen by staff members of that forum? By allowing all members to access that it negates the permission to only see you're own topics unless you're a moderator of that forum and breaks its current functionality.

Also, for your third one I think that a lot of people prefer that you can't see those topics in the view new content and things.

So you want topics to be seen by everyone when you specifically told the forum to only show them their own topics?

I look at pinned topics as staff/administration announcements. To me, at least, it makes sense that they should always be seen even when users are set to only see their own topics.
Everyone has their own needs. What makes the world go round.

Also, for your third one I think that a lot of people prefer that you can't see those topics in the view new content and things.

If you have the ability to see all topics, because you are a mod of the forum, why wouldn't you want those new topics to appear in the aggregator functions like VNC, MC, and Search? It doesn't make sense to my what reason you would not want them to appear. If you have the perms to see the topics then they should be shown in search results and new content as far as I am concerned.

I 100% disagree that pinned topics should be visible to everyone. :blink: That is beyond the entire point of the setting - to hide topics you didn't start.

When I used to have a forum set up like this, I would sometimes pin "tickets" I was actively working on or that had a higher priority so they stayed at the top of the listing. I wouldn't want them shown to everyone, however. As Morrigan said, use announcements if you want something at the top of the listing everyone can see.

While the other ideas are good, they are just hard to implement from a resource standpoint, but I'm sure the features will be expanded over time.

Archived