Hostname and DNS

Hello ! :)

My new server'name is ns6998.ovh.net and the hostname and DNS have been configured this way by a server management company :

ns1.enseignants-du-primaire.org 91.121.126.84 ns2.enseignants-du-primaire.org 91.121.127.84 Please go to your registrar and register the following dns. If you'd like for us to do this for you please provide us with your registrar's login details. The hostname has been changed to server.enseignants-du-primaire.org Please also ask your datacenter to update your Reverse DNS entry at their end as follows 91.121.126.84 server.enseignants-du-primaire.org

As for the reverse DNS, I know how to do it. But I don't understand very well what I'm supposed to do for the DNS.

Regarding the enseignants-du-primaire.org domain, it is pointing to my server, and the DNS for enseignants-du-primaire.org are :
ns6998.ovh.net
sdns1.ovh.net

If I understand well what the management company told me, I now need to register these DNS :
ns1.enseignants-du-primaire.org 91.121.126.84
ns2.enseignants-du-primaire.org 91.121.127.84

I have a tool for this. This tool tells me that the DNS for the enseignants-du-primaire.org domain are:
ns6998.ovh.net primaire
sdns1.ovh.net secondaire

So I think that what I have to do is simply adding this :
ns1.enseignants-du-primaire.org
ns2.enseignants-du-primaire.org
below (and without removing) ns6998.ovh.net and sdns1.ovh.net ?

Can you tell me if I'm right ?

Thank you ! :)

We have setup the following dns for your server:

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is just being overcomplicated. You simply go to where you registered your domain (ovh.com) and register the the nameservers they gave you, to the IPs they gave you. Most domain registrars provide a way of doing this using their interface, some require you to contact them.

Your server management company just wants you to have the:
ns1 = 91.121.126.84
ns2 = 91.121.127.84

Once that is done, you can use those as nameservers for your domains, which will point the DNS to your new server.

Archived