ACP option for friendly URL?

Wolfie

To configure goto ACP->System->Tools & Settings->System Settings->System->Server Environment

or just type the word friendly into the Live search in ACP box.

You need mod_rewrite to use this and also remember to setup the .htaccess file that is needed.

It's a chicken and egg scenario. We need to know whether the setting is on before the ACP settings have been loaded, thus it has to be done from conf_global.php.

[quote name='RobertMidd' date='10 June 2009 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1244654290' post='1808831']
To configure goto ACP->System->Tools & Settings->System Settings->System->Server Environment

or just type the word friendly into the Live search in ACP box.

You need mod_rewrite to use this and also remember to setup the .htaccess file that is needed.

Those are related settings, but not the one he's talking about. To enable friendly urls you need to edit conf_global.php.

[quote name='bfarber' date='10 June 2009 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1244654617' post='1808834']
It's a chicken and egg scenario. We need to know whether the setting is on before the ACP settings have been loaded, thus it has to be done from conf_global.php.

Don't suppose an option that would modify the conf_global file to turn the feature on/off could be included (not a major issue so not a v3.0 request)? Not a big issue since it shouldn't be something that gets turned on/off on a regular basis.

[quote name='RobertMidd' date='10 June 2009 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1244655403' post='1808840']
ah, I see.

I thought the toggle was the setting Redirect to new friendly URL format?

Sorry.

I originally thought that too, until I read the description for that option...
If enabled, a user accessing showxxxx=x type links will be automatically redirected to the new URL format.

Oh well, can't have everything... Where would it all go?

• Management

Generally we recommend that customers chmod their conf_global.php file so that it is only readable by PHP. This makes it difficult to make a tool to edit that file as you'll just get an error saying that it did not have permission to save it.

How often are you going to toggle FURLs? Once a day? ;)

Archived