Movie pages are excluded by noindex meta tag

WebCMS

Developer confirmed that there are no occurrences of "noindex" in his app.

However, I found this meta tag for movie pages' source which are homepages to individual movies -

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">

The above tag is apparently rendered from IC source code. If you surf to the following URLs, you would see the above noindex meta tag rendered in the page's source.

Excluded by ‘noindex’ tag as per Google Analytics

/movies/movie/46-divergent/

/movies/movie/47-insurgent/

/movies/movie/48-allegiant/

Google is not crawling movie pages due to the above noindex meta tag which please resolve.

Related topic -

Edited by WebCMS

I’m not sure you want IPS to do here. This is a third party resource. They’re not going to change the core software for something developed by someone else. 

I get you’re wanting to improve SEO, but this is not an IPS problem to solve since it’s not broken in the unmodified software. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

I’m not sure you want IPS to do here. This is a third party resource. They’re not going to change the core software for something developed by someone else. 

I get you’re wanting to improve SEO, but this is not an IPS problem to solve since it’s not broken in the unmodified software. 

This has nothing to do with getting more traffic - we are not advertising anything and couldn't care less about traffic.

We thought the meta tag is rendered by IC core (conditionally for /movies/movie/..., etc). We don't know as we are on CiC and don't have source code.

Where is the meta tag in the <head> section (noindex,nofollow) coming from?

Edited by WebCMS

Posted (edited)

We see similar meta tags for events which are perfectly fine as they are facet kind of URLs.

But for movies, no matter how many movies we add, they won't get indexed apparently.

Edited by WebCMS

1 hour ago, WebCMS said:

Where is the meta tag in the <head> section (noindex,nofollow) coming from?

system / Helpers / Table / Table / __toString (line 540):

/* No rows to show? Add a noindex but follow for crawling later to check if content exists */
			if ( ! \count( $rows ) )
			{
				\IPS\Output::i()->metaTags['robots'] = 'noindex, follow';
			}

The only Table in the movie view is controlled by the setting Display VIEWERS & RATINGS tab. So apparently, and according to the above, it will add the meta tags if the table has no rows (?). So disable the setting to see if the tags go away. Let me know then I’ll release a new version to display the tab only if it has results. 

Edited by Adriano Faria

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

system / Helpers / Table / Table / __toString (line 540):

/* No rows to show? Add a noindex but follow for crawling later to check if content exists */
			if ( ! \count( $rows ) )
			{
				\IPS\Output::i()->metaTags['robots'] = 'noindex, follow';
			}

The only Table in the movie view is controlled by the setting Display VIEWERS & RATINGS tab. So apparently, and according to the above, it will add the meta tags if the table has no rows (?). So disable the setting to see if the tags go away. Let me know then I’ll release a new version to display the tab only if it has results. 

You are right. Turning off that switch suppresses the meta tag.