Image uploads, File Size and Resizing

THL

I'm still using IPB 3.4 and I'm about to update to IPB 4, can anyone advise me if there updated software allows resizing of image filesize on upload...

Basically so when people upload direct from there phone with 5-10mb images there not utilising a lot of space, what do others set as there max upload file size?

You can resize images based on maximum dimensions and JPG quality (from 0 to 100). Maximum upload file size is controlled within your PHP settings, I wouldn't recommend making it too small, because you will have to force your users to resize images before uploading and most likely they won't bother to upload at all. 

What you can do is limit the images to, lets say 800px for thumbnail and 1200px for large image and file limit is 15mb. Then when your user upload a 10mb file it will be resized once for the thumb(approximately 250k) and once for the large file (lets say 500k), the original will be discarded. Thus, even though you don't limit single file upload size you still get images reduced in size. 

Archived