RSS import: support for feedburner feeds

current

Just found out you can't import RSS feeds maintained at Feedburner! This is the error you get while trying to import the official Feedburner RSS feed:

Could not open http://feeds.feedburner.com/BurnThisRSS2?format=xml to locate channels.

Feedburner is very popular, so I'm quite astonished to find out IPB doesn't support it. Support should really be added.

XML error: SYSTEM or PUBLIC, the URI is missing at line 1

• 2 months later...

What I've had to do is modify a kernel library (ips_kernel/class_file_management.php) and print out the ACTUAL response from feedburner, which includes the Location header.

I've "fixed" this for 3.0 by adding support for curl, and verified it follows the url properly.

• 5 months later...

Okay, any chance a little patch can be made? I need RSS feeds on my site bad. We are a Game site, supporting all games, I had them working before on older revision of IPB, now we can't get feeds to work at all. Discovered most of the old feeds now use the new feedburner. Most of us can't mess with the code like you guys. If 3.0 was coming out right away with all addons from 3rd party makers, hey great, but 3.0 is so far off in the distance it seems. :(

No issues like this exists in your competitor Vbulletin software like this and many other issues. I love IPB, but man we need 3.0 and features galore to get up to speed with Vbulletin I hate to say. :(

[quote name='Desert Fox_merged' date='16 April 2009 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1239895786' post='1796370']
Okay, any chance a little patch can be made?

I'll second that. I'm not a good enough coder to make the change myself ;)

• 3 months later...

[quote name='bfarber' date='14 August 2009 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1250277807' post='1843779']
If you have curl enabled it will follow the redirect to the correct location, but otherwise there's a silent redirect feedburner executes.

I'm not a PHP developer so please excuse me if I'm misunderstanding things but looking at the code in ips_kernel/class_file_management.php as you mentioned earlier, it does look like its trying to use curl.

//------------------------------- // Is URL, try curl and then fall back //------------------------------- if( ($contents = $this->_getContentsWithCurl( $file_location )) === false ) { if ( $this->use_sockets ) { $contents = $this->_getContentsWithSocket( $file_location ); } else { $contents = $this->_getContentsWithFopen( $file_location ); } }

Or am I still missing something?

It does, so long as it's enabled in your php installation. If you go to phpinfo (you can see this from Support tab -> PHPINFO link) do you see curl here enabled?

If you submit a ticket I/we can track it down. Basically if I do a printout of the returned response when making the request to feedburner, it has a Location: header, which has the proper URL it wants you to call out to. Configuring your RSS feed with this url will work fine (even if calling the original in your browser works fine too - haven't quite figured out why that works from a browser, but not a script). We can figure this out if you submit a ticket.

Actually I did submit a ticket after I made the first post, figured I should probably go through official channels, but then you started replying :)
Ticket no. 594931

I had a look at my phpinfo and it seems curl is enabled, see attached screen shot:
post-146759-125029293693_thumb.png:

We can continue the discussion in the support ticket if you want.

Archived