December Year in Review and 2023 Preview (Video)

Our December Year in Review and 2023 Preview Chat is complete! Thank you to those who joined us live and thank you to those who will watch the replay.

@Mattand @Charles discussed what we delivered in 2022 and shared some insights on what to expect for 2023. It’s great to hear them chat about the meaning behind our deliverables and hear their excitement for what’s to come.

Watch the video, share your thoughts and let us know what questions you have! We look forward to sharing our 2023 journey with you! 🎉

No offense but many of us don't have time to watch a 1 hour video when we may be able to take 5 or 10 minutes to read a news or an article.

I'm not saying the video is not a good choice but it should be accompanied by a text with the main points or announcement. Basically just an image of the slides presented would be a good start.

24 minutes ago, jesuralem said:

No offense but many of us don't have time to watch a 1 hour video when we may be able to take 5 or 10 minutes to read a news or an article.

I'm not saying the video is not a good choice but it should be accompanied by a text with the main points or announcement. Basically just an image of the slides presented would be a good start.

Timestamps to the highlighted portions.

Live Topics sounds amazing, and like something I’ve wanted forever. Continuing the conversation after live is great, but also keeping the live conversation searchable for other to learn from, is huge. 

Question: Given the additional technologies used for Live Topics, will this be a Cloud only thing? I really hope not. That would be a bridge too far toward pushing people to the Cloud rather than letting us decide what works best for our communities. 

• Management
9 hours ago, Chris027 said:

Live Topics sounds amazing, and like something I’ve wanted forever. Continuing the conversation after live is great, but also keeping the live conversation searchable for other to learn from, is huge. 

Question: Given the additional technologies used for Live Topics, will this be a Cloud only thing? I really hope not. That would be a bridge too far toward pushing people to the Cloud rather than letting us decide what works best for our communities. 

It will be cloud only because most of the functionality is in the cloud. It uses Node, React, Redis, SQS and a proprietary command runner system we built on AWS. The community code is very lightweight  

• Management
3 hours ago, Dll said:

Re the video encoding - I think a wider version of that was going to be an enterprise only thing at one point? Is the gallery version going to be available on other levels of the cloud offering?

Yes, it will start at Team level and up.

Thanks for the updates - interesting revamp of the Gallery! Looking forward to seeing how that evolves. I am currently using a Pages database for a more editorialised media gallery setup (archival of official artworks, etc), and if I could replicate what I'm doing there with this I may just jump in and grab the revamped Gallery app.

I had a question with that in mind; would it be possible (or can there be scope to add, in a future update) to connect or build a link/database relationship between Gallery albums and records in a Pages database? Either by allowing custom fields in gallery albums or some other method?

That's one of the benefits for me to using a Pages-based media gallery right now (I have a DB Relationship custom field in the 'media gallery' database that, when linked to a Pages record in a separate database, will allow those albums and images to appear dynamically on the linked Pages record), but I would rather have the visual benefit of a proper gallery app that I can allow multiple users to contribute to, which can be linked directly to a Pages DB record.

Feature request regarding that “pay for RSVP” feature that keeps getting mentioned:

Please make it member-group specific. For example: I would love to create regular community Zoom events that are free for my paying VIP member group, but require a participation fee for regular members. That way, I could nudge people to become VIP members or at least get a one-time fee for the participation. 

@Charles

• Management

@opentype Good idea. 

12 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

I had a question with that in mind; would it be possible (or can there be scope to add, in a future update) to connect or build a link/database relationship between Gallery albums and records in a Pages database? Either by allowing custom fields in gallery albums or some other method?

I think something like that is probably possible now with some custom code but a future update could make it a lot easier. 

I watched the video and it's great to see that gallery video transcoding will be a cloud only feature...

Well Done Reaction GIF by X Factor Global

That's sarcasm...I hope they at least did something with the titles for SEO.

It really would nice if you allowed self hosting customers to use AWS libraries on their own. Or give a developer the ability to create these features and support with a plugin or app. That goes for all the "cloud only" features. Your cloud pricing is just not comperable to self-hosting, especially multiple licences. 

Pretty disappointing to see this proprietary cloud-only video approach. Video IS the wave and it's one of the biggest gaps to IPS.  Video is HARD, so I'm baffled as to why IPS would want to incur the cost of enhancing this with a cloud-only solution and also incur the resource and storage cost for cloud customers (driving cloud pricing up in all likelihood) versus leveraging YouTube, Vimeo, etc and their APIs to make a cloud and self hosting solution that saves everyone time and money, as well as ports video handling into the hands of companies that have already mastered it.