Invision Community Insight: Version 5 teaser II is here!

🍂🍎 Welcome to this week's Invision Community Insight! 🍏🍂

Thank you for checking out our weekly, round up post. I hope you have had a wonderful week. 

This week's updates from the Invision Community team are below. 🙂 

Current Happenings

Newest Version 5 Teaser is here! 🎉

Matt has given me the privilege of posting our new teaser here first! 👏

Check it out and let us know what you think.  🤩 

New Version

The official September release was made available last week. Upgrade your community now.

Here is what is included in September release, version 4.7.13. https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/

Key improvements include:

Release Chat

Our September release chat is scheduled for Wednesday. Join us live or catch the video and discussion in the converted topic after the event. 

Marketplace Closure

As a reminder, our Marketplace Closure announcement was made last month. Notices are added to the AdminCP with the September release. 

Last week, we have shared our new 'license key' system to allow you to transfer your purchases to the third-party developer website in a privacy-conscious way. You can get more details and ask any questions in that post: 

Changelog

No version 4 Changelog to share this week.

So far everything is looking good but i wonder, if the plugins are deprecated, will IPS replace some of them like "group legend, general statistics" ( these are the first that got into my mind ) and implement them into the v5 by default. Also, for v5, are we going the see some updates over the guides section avaible at IPS ? ( about creating an app, more about theme editing ).

4 hours ago, Kevin MORGAN said:

Do you have an approximate date for v5? For example: December, 2023. @Matt

This is not something we are able to announce at present. We will of course have information soon 

2 hours ago, Percival said:

@Matt Looks nice but will v5 contain framework changes which you mentioned 2 years ago... ?

I have taken a look at what you linked there, but its not clear what framework changes you are referring to. There is however a large amount of framework change generally, if thats the question you are asking?

• Management

No dates, but we're unlikely to release a major new version around a public holiday when our team are enjoying time away with their family. You'll definitely see more of Invision Community 5 this year.

In terms of the JS bundling changes, the answer is 'no' but not 'never'. We want Invision Community 5 to be the start of something new, and we'll be converting JS over to native and changing how things are bundled over the early part of its lifecycle. We didn't want to add another 6-9 months onto its development schedule to rewrite all the JS which is a massive undertaking and offers very slim benefits to almost everyone outside of Google speed tests.

20 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

Out of curiosity, how is a rewrite specifically benefitting you outside of what Matt noted?  

Meeting and passing any and all technical and content standards and suggestions from google is indeed a high priority because those recommendations and indicators are there for a google reason from people who decide what ranks and how it ranks. Since the rewrite is directly linked to the G speed test, it is also an important for me.

Edited by virap1

• Management
1 hour ago, abobader said:

Yes, always good news to use new build of the software, the only consideration for 3rd party apps we had already.

@Matt Do the dev's already have info about the new coming v5, if not, when, so we can start working with them either for the update or doing new apps. Thanks.

We've released some news on Invision Community Five, but third party developers won't have enough information to get started on updating their apps. We're at the peak of the mountain now and ready to start showing more in the coming weeks.

I am really excited to start showing off the culmination of just under six month's work from our team.

On 9/20/2023 at 1:10 PM, virap1 said:

Meeting and passing any and all technical and content standards and suggestions from google is indeed a high priority because those recommendations and indicators are there for a google reason from people who decide what ranks and how it ranks. Since the rewrite is directly linked to the G speed test, it is also an important for me.

Apparently its no longer a huge priority:

“If you don’t have anything better to do on your site, go do Core Web Vitals. Most sites won’t see benefit playing around with it,” (Gary Illyes, Analyst on the Google Search team)

Source: https://searchengineland.com/ama-google-gary-illyes-seo-takeaways-432325?

51 minutes ago, David N. said:

Apparently its no longer a huge priority

It never really was. Google just follows the user. If a site offers the most relevant content for a search query, then it’s what the user wants to see, whether it takes 500 milliseconds longer to load or not. Only if different sites have exactly the same ranking otherwise, then maybe your ranking position changes a bit. But in general, search results are not ordered by speed. That would be ridiculous. 
Optimizations are still useful of course, but there is no reason to obsess about them. There are much more impactful changes to be made on the site itself, e.g. how to name pages/forums/topics, how to structure a menu and so on.