Hump Day: A Refresh Has Arrived!

22 minutes ago, Dll said:

I should have kept my face shut when I was suggesting Invision raise prices.

Dr House Oops GIF

But, in all seriousness I have no issue with the increase itself. But for a company that's apparently expert in all things communication, it's a bit weird to see it just dropped in there with a site redesign rather than pre-announcing it, emailing customers in advance or whatever else. 

The site does look waaaay better than it did though. 

Appreciate you understanding. We actually have an email going out about this shortly. There was a bunch of moving parts to get this refresh out, but rest assured we do plan on reaching out to everyone individually. Stay tuned for that :]

PS thanks for the kind words about the design!

21 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Wow, are we allowed to sell our licenses?  If yes, I suspect there will be many available.

It's cheaper to buy new XenForo licenses than to renew.  

I run three hobby sites, I don't think I can afford this any longer.  To be honest, it feels like this is your market plan.  Over the years changes are made and we're told many people asked fox xyz, when there are no posts ever made about xyz.  Likely it's your high paying corporate accounts asking to add or remove these features.  I fear us small site aren't worth it any longer for you.

I recently renewed so I will be here a while longer, but I can't say I'll renew again.

I hear ya. Hopefully you won't decide to jump ship when you go to renew in the future. 😔 

I wouldn't say our plan is to push out the boutique niche communities. I was a self-hosted client for 10 years before officially joining the team, so I know how you might be feeling. 

I was first panicking after seeing the new prices but that I read it's yearly ... 😉

Why not give the option for 6 months and yearly? :,)

Don't like the new prices either... think this was the wrong move, ppl will now have even more reason to just use the nulled versions.

Edited by ZLTRGO

• Management
3 minutes ago, Dll said:

Any clarification on what this means for support for those with existing licences which are over 30 days old? Is it only available through the forums from now on unless you buy priority support? 

We are sending an email to everyone now with all the details (may take through tomorrow for all to send) but short version:

Existing active, self-hosted licenses will have email support until 1 January 2022 or their current renewal date, whichever is later. After that, it will be community support only.

We will of course still always help you and if we cannot sort out issue here on our community, we will take your post to email and work with you in private. You have probably seen a lot of us saying "I will submit a ticket for you." We have an integration between our community here and our help desk (via our Zapier integration) so we can quickly do that.

So think of it as support starts on the community but email support is still there if we cannot help you in public. Of course billing/account questions can always be done in private by email.

1 minute ago, Dean_ said:

I've gone from $85.00, to $250.00 / year?

Sorry. I can't afford that. Again, like others I only run hobby websites in my spare time (for fun).

I really think, that's me done with Invision. 20 years later. I fear, we will just all drop like flies...

Actually you went from $85/6 months or $170/year to $250/year. That's an increase of $6.67/month.

1 minute ago, ZLTRGO said:

I was first panicking after seeing the new prices but that I read it's yearly ... 😉

Why not give the option for 6 months and yearly? :,)

As you can see from the other post I quoted here, 6-month renewals sort of confuse people 🙂. Annual is pretty industry standard. Many clients will add account credits regularly throughout the year to smooth out the costs if they like.

8 minutes ago, Charles said:

Actually you went from $85/6 months or $170/year to $250/year. That's an increase of $6.67/month.

Indeed, I missed the 6 months from the comment. But, that's a big outlay for some us Charles, especially in a lump sum for a whole year. Has the 6-month option been removed?

• Management
Just now, Dean_ said:

Indeed, I missed the 6 months from the comment. But, that's a big outlay for some us Charles, especially in a lump sum for a whole year. Has the 6-month option been removed?

Yes - keeping both made my head hurt trying to configure 😉

But you can always add account credits throughout the year. We have some clients who make monthly account credit contributions to prepare for their renewals.

Please give everyone six month's notice before implementing yearly renewals considering you are also raising prices at the same time.  This should allow folks time to implement various fundraising schemes to cover the increased renewal fees and the necessity of paying yearly rather than twice a year. 

Just now, Chris Anderson said:

Please give everyone six month's notice before implementing yearly renewals considering you are also raising prices at the same time.  This should allow folks time to implement various fundraising schemes to cover the increased renewal fees and the necessity of paying yearly rather than twice a year. 

Agreed. I get 14 days to pay $70 more and a yearly renewal instead of 6 months should I decide to stick with IPS.

23 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Perfect time to do it.

I've done it - removed my payment method and exploring other options. No one likes price rises, but when people are still recovering from the pandemic this is like a sledgehammer blow.  It's also going to affect devs who supply much needed apps in the marketplace; if people start leaving then their revenue is going to slip and then they may leave too.  It's a slippery slope IPS has ventured into and may be something to regret later. I just bought another license this year for another project, now that's on the bonfire until I find another solution.  Talk about being hit between the eyes!

32 minutes ago, rnorth6920 said:

Great, my renewal is in 14 days.  😞  It also is now a yearly price, wasn't it every 6 month before?  This change has me seriously debating jumping ship, which is sad. 

Stick with us. I know this news is a little whiplash, but please give us an opportunity to show you we aren't arbitrarily raising prices just cause. We want to expand and grow as we navigate the waters of today's rising costs for us as well. 🙏  

30 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Perfect time to do it.

Respectfully disagree. 😇 I know I'm biased, but it would be cool to stick with us to see what other things we have in the works for you all. 

1 hour ago, Jordan Miller said:

Truth be told, we haven't raised our prices in more than a decade. We held off for a long time because we didn't want to ruffle any feathers. I know that's not the greatest answer in the world, but we want to be as transparent as possible with all of you.

"we want to be as transparent as possible"

So springing a wild price increase out of the blue is being as transparent as possible, is it? What utter nonsense.

Just now, marklcfc said:

Hang on the price has increased for the license and with that we also lose email support?

So if my site crashes during an upgrade and I'm stuck, I can't get support as I used to anymore to help get it back

No, not at all. You would just post up on the community in our support section instead of ticketing. If a ticket is then needed for private access for example, we can take that to email and assist. You will have seen this happening more and more lately, and this will continue. Support has not gone away, its simply done in a different manner.

5 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

Hang on the price has increased for the license and with that we also lose email support?

So if my site crashes during an upgrade and I'm stuck, I can't get support as I used to anymore to help get it back despite paying more

Kind of sort of. We are going to be shifting our support resources from tickets to community support in a BIG way. We want to further build a resource library / knowledge base, so if people in the future have a similar issue, we'll have a big answer library ready to pull from. We are definitely going to be on our A-game in the community in terms of support. 

This frees us up for more future support. I know that sounds like a bit of a PR spin, and I guess it is, but it's also the truth. Community support is something we have strategized about a LOT in the past few months and are eager to be more connected to everyone.