Introducing Courses

Courses is a new, lightweight learning platform designed to help you provide a new learning experience for your members. 

Courses are perfect for requiring your community to read and understand documentation and to deliver training and lessons to your community.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Computer, Electronics, Laptop, Pc, Person, Pen, Computer Hardware, Hardware

Let's take a look at how it works!

Instructor led courses are comprised of separate modules, each containing lessons. New courses are created and managed through the AdminCP under Community. Each course has the option to be assigned one or more instructors. Instructors play a crucial role in developing the course content via the frontend, and they are available to assist members throughout their learning journey in the course.

Courses can be set to be optional, or required meaning members must complete this course before progressing to others. Furthermore, courses tie into Achievement Rules, so you have the ability to grant points and/or badges to a member once they finish a course.

Courses can be free or paid, and comprise of one or more modules, each of which contain multiple sessions and an optional quiz.

Modules and Lessons

Courses wouldn't be much without some lessons! Lessons are grouped into modules, that can have an optional quiz. Quizzes are a great way to verify members' learning progression and understanding.

You have the option to configure modules to be completed sequentially. This pairs nicely with quizzes as you would need to complete the current module before moving on to the next one, ensuring a structured and progressive learning experience!

Could contain: File, Webpage, Text

The lessons themselves are the main content of Courses. Lessons are comprised of the material that students will engage with during their learning journey. Lessons can be designated as optional, so they can be skipped. This is handy when you want to provide organised supplemental information that is not essential.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

Managing Enrollments

As an administrator or instructor, you may need to manage course enrolments from time to time. This can involve enrolling a member on their behalf, withdrawing a member from a course, or deleting an enrollment altogether. There are two ways for managing those enrolled in courses, either through the administrative control panel or the course roster on the frontend.

To access the course roster via the frontend - just click on 'View All Members' when on the course homepage.

Could contain: Page, Text

Course Manager

Managing a course is handled via the frontend. Individuals such as instructors, admins, and other authorized members can create and edit modules, lessons and quizzes for a course. You manage quizzes and lessons from within the module view.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

I hope that you have enjoyed this overview of Courses. This is just the beginning, we're already considering various possibilities such as integrating with Live Topics, incorporating discussion sections within a lesson, and enhancing the required courses feature so stay tuned!

The features discussed in this announcement are not available for Invision Community Classic. Click here to learn more about switching to our platform to get this and other benefits.

View full blog entry

3 hours ago, Marshall Slemp said:

courses tie into Achievement Rules, so you have the ability to grant points and/or badges to a member once they finish a course.

😍

Courses can be set to be optional, or required meaning members must complete this course before progressing to others.

😍 

Courses can be free or paid

😍 

This whole app is super cool and a really big deal! Congrats! Excited to see it in action. 

When I see the buttons at the end of a course, I feel like I'm missing some options that would make the visitor move forward. Most people don't want to return to the course they just took or retake the same quizz again either? Most people want to either go to the next course, next module, or back to that course's list of modules, or to the library of courses.

Could contain: Text

Edited by David N.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, homeofeconomy said:

Would you consider making this a module that Classic customers can pay for?  This module would be fantastically useful, but we use Invision for an Intranet site with hosting on the Cloud not an option.

At present, this is a value add item for our cloud customers on Creator Pro and above. It has been stated that we may, at some point in the future, consider this on the classic platform. However there is nothing set it stone as of yet

41 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

At present, this is a value add item for our cloud customers on Creator Pro and above. It has been stated that we may, at some point in the future, consider this on the classic platform. However there is nothing set it stone as of yet

What languages do you use for this application that led to the decision not to publish as well for self-hosts? I don't think it uses NodeJS or AWS stuff with your modules....

1 hour ago, Askancy said:

What languages do you use for this application that led to the decision not to publish as well for self-hosts? I don't think it uses NodeJS or AWS stuff with your modules....

As mentioned, this is a value add item for creator pro and above (who, as regularly pointed out, pay more for their service). Nobody mentioned languages being a decision on whether or not to make it cloud only.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Fernando Mercês said:

Hi!

I was wondering why Courses app is not shown in the main Invision website. It is not listed under Features either. No mention on Invision 5 recent blogposts... Maybe I'm just being crazy, but is there any plans to kill it? I'm using it a lot, so I'm scared, sorry. 🫠 

Could contain: Cutlery, Logo

No way. Courses is a relatively newer feature for Invision (Cloud only). All of the worthwhile competition community services also offer courses. Expect to see this remain and probably tweaked and developed even more.

Edited by Robert Angle

11 hours ago, Fernando Mercês said:

Hi!

I was wondering why Courses app is not shown in the main Invision website. It is not listed under Features either. No mention on Invision 5 recent blogposts... Maybe I'm just being crazy, but is there any plans to kill it? I'm using it a lot, so I'm scared, sorry. 🫠 

Could contain: Cutlery, Logo

Certainly not 🙂 

3 hours ago, Robert Angle said:

No way. Courses is a relatively newer feature for Invision (Cloud only). All of the worthwhile competition community services also offer courses. Expect to see this remain and probably tweaked and developed even more.

Actually the "cloud only" part is a common misconception. It's not available on some cloud plans too.

Hello. We actually use our Invision Platform as a way to train our customers. We have self-help guides in databases which they search and use to self help.

I don't fully understand what this new Invision functionality is - it sounds like we could add interactive training to our offering, which would be good. 

Is there a demo site that I can use to get a feel for how it works? 

• 2 months later...

Are there any plans to change access to Courses with Cloud plans in V5? Presently, with the Creator Pro plan, it includes only a nobbled version of Courses and is useless to us. Frankly, I am unsure of what use the nobbled version would be to anyone - it offers very little.

12 hours ago, Como said:

Are there any plans to change access to Courses with Cloud plans in V5? Presently, with the Creator Pro plan, it includes only a nobbled version of Courses and is useless to us. Frankly, I am unsure of what use the nobbled version would be to anyone - it offers very little.

Im not aware of any plans to change access to courses areas on different plans at present