Invision Community 5: Live Topic Improvements

Live Topics in Invision Community 5

Introduced last year, Live Topics are an innovative way to host live chat and question-and-answer sessions, complete with the option for live video integration. Live Topics effortlessly transform these events into permanent forum topics once the event concludes, allowing your members to not only interact in real-time with the rest of your community, but also continue the conversation far beyond the events conclusion.

As part of Invision Community 5, Live Topics will ship with a brand new design, rich-text editors and dynamic reactions. Let’s take a look at all three improvements, starting with the new design.

Full-screen, 3 column layout

When viewing a live topic, you’ll be taken to a new, minimal, full-screen, 3 column layout which provides plenty of space to simultaneously view your video, question-and-answer list, and live chat columns all at once. The width of the video can easily be adjusted using a simple drag and drop handle, allowing your members to shift their focus between the video or the question-and-answer list depending on the moment.

The second column holds a list of dynamic question-and-answer discussions, while the third column boasts a redesigned chat area that more closely resemble an app-like experience.

For smaller devices such as tablets and mobiles, the video is always visible at the top of the page. The question-and-answer list and live chat collapse into their own tabbed area to conserve space.

Rich-text editors

Text fields in Live Topics have been upgraded to CKEditor, allowing for greater flexibility when it comes to formatting text or posting emoji’s.

Reactions

Reactions have been added to live topics for both the question feed and the live chat. Reactions update dynamically in real-time, offering valuable insights into the content your community deems significant in the moment.

A lot of thought has gone into transforming Live Topics into a much more user friendly experience. The refreshed, modern design combined with new real-time features make Live Topics a fantastic solution for hosting real-time community events, and we're looking forward to shipping these updates alongside Invision Community 5 later this year.

View full blog entry

1 hour ago, Chris027 said:

Very nice looking and nice features. 

Please keep in mind that many of us use advertisements as our main source of funding to keep our sites going. I don’t see much room for ads in any v5 snippets. 

Same thoughts. Looks great! Ads are a priority for me as well. I would love to see new and creative ways to monetize in v5. I don’t run any sites without monetization/ income, otherwise I would shut them all down. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

You won't be able to place ads anywhere on the Live Topics UI. The advertisement system has had an update for v5, but I don't think we've spoken about it much.

I think I spent more time making up fake adverts than writing about it.

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person, Text

Ok. It would be nice to discuss in another topic. One sub-topic is how some of us currently make manual adjustments so our ads aren’t blocked by the popular ad blockers. It’d be great to eliminate this need. 

On 1/19/2024 at 2:24 PM, UncrownedGuard said:

Would love a chat box like the one used in Live Topics, but just as an independent block we can place on a page.   Otherwise is looks like a lot of nice changes!

IPS used to have a nice chat app a few years back. I do like this one and would agree, it would make a nice feature independent of live topics. Hopefully live topics doesn't see the same fate that IPS Chat did in terms of lack of usage. 

On 1/19/2024 at 6:40 PM, 403 - Forbiddeen said:

I hope it is not exclusive to Cloud subscription, but for all customers. Spectacular addition.

Live topics is something already available to customers on our Creator plan and above. 

On 1/21/2024 at 5:12 AM, AlexWebsites said:

Hopefully live topics doesn't see the same fate that IPS Chat did in terms of lack of usage. 

We agree 🙂 

On 1/21/2024 at 12:12 AM, AlexWebsites said:

IPS used to have a nice chat app a few years back. I do like this one and would agree, it would make a nice feature independent of live topics. Hopefully live topics doesn't see the same fate that IPS Chat did in terms of lack of usage. 

Ya, I remember IPS.Chat.  I loved it, but the per-user plan thing was kind of strange.  I do feel like being able to pull features from live topics to use in other ways would greatly improve the product as I personally have little use for the package as is.

On 1/22/2024 at 7:35 PM, Marc Stridgen said:
On 1/20/2024 at 5:40 AM, 403 - Forbiddeen said:

I hope it is not exclusive to Cloud subscription, but for all customers. Spectacular addition.

Live topics is something already available to customers on our Creator plan and above. 

So... Is that a yes, it will be available for self-hosted/classic? 🙂

I could not find any tags or mention of cloud-only / not for self hosted in the article (usually there is a very small fineprint in the bottom of the post). Does it mean it will be available for all customers?

• 2 weeks later...