Introducing a fresh new vision for Invision Community 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • Management
3 hours ago, brandoninsc said:

I have a significant amount of custom PHP built into the pages component with blocks. Should I have concerns that this content that I've built into this platform will stop working after the update?

It'll definitely be a "breaking" update for many things including code style in PHP code base blocks but it shouldn't take too long to update those items.

• 1 month later...
  • Management

Another Invision Community 5 blog is on its way right now.

There's been a lot going on, but we're waiting for a few things to be finished before we can show it off. We're currently revamping the theme resources UI, lots of Pages things in progress including a brand new easy page builder along with QA of what's already been added.

31 minutes ago, Matt said:

Another Invision Community 5 blog is on its way right now.

There's been a lot going on, but we're waiting for a few things to be finished before we can show it off. We're currently revamping the theme resources UI, lots of Pages things in progress including a brand new easy page builder along with QA of what's already been added.

Any sense on conversions of v4 Pages assets to v5?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 11:11 PM, Ehren said:

You’ll be able to add any of your custom profile fields, so if a bio is already a part of those then you’re good to go 🙂

We don’t have plans to show the signature here though. 

Will 'Bios' (or other profile fields) be pop-ups from the profile strip, or are they purely links? (Because pop-ups would be much better.)

Edited by Como

I have a general question relating to the new V5 design philosophy/restructure if that's okay @Ehren.

I've been using sticky nav headers in my current V4 setup, where the navigation strip underneath the header area follows the user as they scroll down. That's working very well, with one caveat; I've had to try and shoehorn in a bunch of additional CSS for as many anchored areas on-page as I can think of(i.e. pagination rows, anchored H2s etc) to ensure those anchored areas do not appear hidden behind the sticky navbar.

Unfortunately it's a little bit of a janky/inelegant solution - my code for each anchored part in my custom CSS goes something like this:

[data-resort="listResort"][data-tableid="topics"]::before,
[data-resort="listResort"]::before {
    display: block;
    content: " ";
    height: 60px;
    margin-top: -60px;
    visibility: hidden;
    pointer-events: none;
    background: none;
    }

The above code tends to help make sure that anchors are set underneath the sticky navbar (which is 60px in height), but it has the side-effect of pulling the ipsBox design up and above its container, which makes sense logically but is a little annoying (and I've had to find alternative way to fix this by modifying the container CSS further to resolve, on a per-section/per-anchor area basis)

Could contain: File, Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

So basically what I'm interested in knowing about is, do you think there is something in V5's design approach that accounts for this kind of customisation that a community admin might want to do, without requiring custom CSS for a hundred different containers to make it work?

I don't necessarily mean that there needs to be an option for sticky headers in the theme editor or anything (because there are too many variables at play - different heights of sticky containers, whereabouts that sticky area might be, etc), but perhaps there is a custom CSS variable baked into V5 for advanced CSS editors, where they can input a value for a sticky anchor height, and then the admin can add one additional line of custom CSS to set their desired navbar/area as 'sticky'... and then the set variable would ensure that all anchored on-page areas would be automatically adjusted to account for the sticky header (so nothing appears hidden behind the sticky container).

It's probably quite a complex thing to ask about, but interested to hear your thoughts on feasibility etc?

On 1/27/2024 at 11:13 PM, Como said:

Will 'Bios' (or other profile fields) be pop-ups from the profile strip, or are they purely links? (Because pop-ups would be much better.)

Does anyone have an answer to this?*

Thanks.

* Edit: preferably, the correct one! 😀

Edited by Como

On 1/29/2024 at 10:41 PM, Dreadknux said:

I have a general question relating to the new V5 design philosophy/restructure if that's okay @Ehren.

The scroll-padding and scroll-margin properties handle all of this for you, and are already built into v5 via a simple CSS variable. No need for pseudo elements or negative margins 🙂 

On 1/28/2024 at 9:13 AM, Como said:

Are bios a custom profile field which you've made? By default, they'll be displayed below other stats with both the name and value of the field. Location is an example in this screenshot:

Could contain: Text, Person, Face, Head

16 minutes ago, Ehren said:

Are bios a custom profile field which you've made? By default, they'll be displayed below other stats with both the name and value of the field. Location is an example in this screenshot:

Could contain: Text, Person, Face, Head

No. 'Bios' is something you introduced in your post:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/475690-introducing-a-fresh-new-vision-for-invision-community-5/page/3/#comment-2957374

What I wish to know is if it is possible to add specific profile fields (tabs) to the mini-profile bar in all posts. So, if I created a profile field called 'Bio', would I be able to have this show in the mini-profile bar (in posts) of all members (preferably, only those who have made use of 'Bio')?

And, if it is possible, is it purely a link, or a popup (which would be much more useful)?

On 1/29/2024 at 12:41 PM, Dreadknux said:

So basically what I'm interested in knowing about is, do you think there is something in V5's design approach that accounts for this kind of customisation that a community admin might want to do, without requiring custom CSS for a hundred different containers to make it work?

This or something like would be useful I think. Trying to do something similar to you had already crossed my mind. But now that you describe the difficulties, I am glad I did not attempt it. But yeah, I am on board with the idea of a sticky menu bar.

If you have a custom profile field (Bio in this case), and if you’ve enabled the setting to have it displayed alongside posts, it will be shown just like Locations in my above screenshot.

There isn’t any tab/modal functionality in the mini profile (not yet anyway). It simply shows the authors stats in an inline list, and then loops through their custom profile fields and outputs them in a vertical list. 

25 minutes ago, Ehren said:

If you have a custom profile field (Bio in this case), and if you’ve enabled the setting to have it displayed alongside posts, it will be shown just like Locations in my above screenshot.

There isn’t any tab/modal functionality in the mini profile (not yet anyway). It simply shows the authors stats in an inline list, and then loops through their custom profile fields and outputs them in a vertical list. 

Hi @Ehren

That's a shame. But thank you for replying and explaining.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, IPB5 will be pretty sweet, from what I can tell.  Looking forward to seeing more from the team.  I find it extremely satisfying to see how active the developers are making a difference in our communities.  Also heavy involvement with us is key and you are hitting that nail on the head too.  Much appreciate everything you guys are doing!!

• 3 weeks later...