iPhone notifications, web app and more

4 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

Have you enabled Push on the fronted( account settings - Notifications) 

I have, it works with notifications on my desktop browser but nothing on the phone. Is there a chance that because its notifying on the desktop, its overriding the phone notification? That said, it doesn't show as a setting in the notifications list, so I doubt it.

1 hour ago, LemonGrenade said:

I have, it works with notifications on my desktop browser but nothing on the phone. Is there a chance that because its notifying on the desktop, its overriding the phone notification? That said, it doesn't show as a setting in the notifications list, so I doubt it.

Same for me.  I'm getting a notification when in the app just like the desktop but not on the phone. 

32 minutes ago, LemonGrenade said:

There isn't a bell that I can spot?

Open the PWA...  the bell appears when you click the hamburger menu.

Could contain: Accessories, Gemstone, Jewelry, Text

Click that bell, and then "Notification Settings".  

Make sure push notifications are enabled.  (You need to do this per device.)

Could contain: Page, Text

Finally make sure you have specific notifications set for what you want pushed.  

1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

From within the PWA...  click on the bell, and then notification settings.  Make sure push is enabled for the PWA itself.  

I have that ticked for notifications to be notification list + Push.  I did notice at the bottom that there is a message that says Push not supported in this Browser.

Could contain: Page, Text, File

6 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Open the PWA...  the bell appears when you click the hamburger menu.

Click that bell, and then "Notification Settings".  

Make sure push notifications are enabled.  (You need to do this per device.)

Finally make sure you have specific notifications set for what you want pushed.  

Perfect thanks @Randy Calvert It all had push ticked but had to click the bottom 'Push' to enable in browser!

Thanks buddy!

Yeah just to clarify/reinforce Randy's point in case it helps other people as well... you need to enable Push Notifications for EACH device you have in order for it to work. You can't just set it once on a desktop/mobile browser and expect it to work once the PWA is set up.

I realised this myself when I had enabled push notifications on my community within the iOS Safari app (before I PWA'd it), but didn't get anything come through when I set up the PWA after. It treats the PWA as its own, separate "browser", so you will need to log in on the specific app instance, go to Settings > Notifications and scroll down to the bell to ensure that your PWA is specifically set up for push. Then it works. 🙂

I'm guessing this is some quirk with iOS, but figured I'd share just in case anyone else is pulling their hair out at this.

21 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

Note: There is a character limit for the short name field, but I'm finding inconsistent information on exactly what that number is because it can be different for Chrome or iOS, but err on the side of shorter.

That said, Cheers & Gears does just barely fit... so for iOS, that limit might be ~14

Could contain: City, Metropolis, Urban, Sign, Symbol, Advertisement

14 was mine as well (including spaces) and it just barely made it. 

23 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

is it possible to use Chrome instead of Safari? Seems like I don't have option to save screen to home on Chrome..

No.  This is not an IPB limitation, but one from the mobile device itself.

Per https://web.dev/learn/pwa/progressive-web-apps/:

On iOS and iPadOS, PWAs are only installable if the user is using Safari. That means that users won't install PWAs if they use different browser apps, such as Google Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge. On both Android and iOS, users can't install PWAs from many in-app browsers, such as Facebook Mobile Browser, Instagram, Google Search App, or Gmail.

Edited by Randy Calvert

4 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

No.  This is not an IPB limitation, but one from the mobile device itself.

Per https://web.dev/learn/pwa/progressive-web-apps/:

On iOS and iPadOS, PWAs are only installable if the user is using Safari. That means that users won't install PWAs if they use different browser apps, such as Google Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge. On both Android and iOS, users can't install PWAs from many in-app browsers, such as Facebook Mobile Browser, Instagram, Google Search App, or Gmail.

Wait a few weeks and all browsers on iOS will have “Add to Home Screen” in their Share menus. 

Edge already supports installing PWAs. 

Apple added an API for this with the latest iOS update. 

I updated my iphone to latest ios update, I filled out manifest. My iphone 11 still cannot receive push notifications. My notification settings still says push not supported in this browser. Im using safari. Am I missing some step??

Could contain: Page, Text, File 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Swissgeocache said:

I have now tried everything possible, but do not get the notifications to run. I have an iPhone 11 with iOS 16.4.1. Manifest is enabled and on the desktop it should work, but on the iPhone I get the indication that Push is not supported in this browser (Safari!)...

You have to add the page to the home screen to get support for push notifications 

On 3/28/2023 at 10:39 PM, beats23 said:

Would it be possible to have a notification in mobile safari telling folks they can save the site to their home screen for a better user experience? I think most folks won't know that they can save the page to their home screen to have an app experience.

Example like what a real app does.

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Text, Photography, PortraitCould contain: Advertisement, Poster, Text, Person, Face, Head

On 3/30/2023 at 7:05 AM, beats23 said:

I'm working on it as application in IPS 😄